SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

SCENERY CREATION PART 5

G-GMDH

SCENERY CREATION PART 5

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm

THE MYSTERIOUS WORLD OF AUTO-GEN

Having consumed large amounts of tea and burning the midnight oil searching the internet led me up the creek without a paddle. Looking at various other forums those members are so “tight arsed” (old Celtic phrase) in sharing any information on this subject. Recently I found a French web site which was like a breath of fresh air as it gave me pointers as to the “fine tuning” of Scenproc to make auto-gen with very good results.

The first thing you will need to download is “Scenproc” making sure it is the correct one for your computers operating system.

Download link here: https://www.scenerydesign.org/scenproc/

Open up the programme and first set the “Options” to your installed flight simulator.

Then you have to download the OSM data in a “shape file” format to convert into auto-gen you will need to visit this web site:

Download link: https://www.bbbike.org/ and select "OSM Extract Service" at the bottom of the page.

The operation of this site was covered in an earlier tutorial of mine, “Scenery Creation Part 3”. The important point to remember is NOT to download too large an area as it will generate trees in odd places! Try to keep to around 3000 square kilometres and or 27 Mbs of data (This needs further experimenting with slightly larger downloads).

Help with using the map and downloading the data: https://extract.bbbike.org/extract.html

Once the zip folder is downloaded unpack and the data needed for Scenproc is “natural”, “buildings” and “landuse” all found in “shape”, they each have 5 folders.

“Fire up” Scenproc and select the “Open” button (top left) and select the Scenproc.spc folder which you make from the information in the picture.

Press the “run” button and away you go.

Having made several auto-gen areas you now need to combine them into a "texture" folder.

Add the completed AGN “texture” folder to your photo scenery.

This is what it looks like.......................

Admin
    Admin

Re: SCENERY CREATION PART 5

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Mike you make it look easy I am sure our reader will be most appreciative, i will get it put up as a sticky as soon as I can remember how.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Many thanks for that. By the way the other tutorials are missing the pictures? Cheers Mike.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 pm

if they were on photobucket , i know there has been a change around, will look into it
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Mike - PhotoBucket have changed their policy for hosting forum (3rd party) images - they don't do it any more. See my post on the Clubhouse...

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks Dai for the update , what a "pain in the arse" (another old Celtic phrase). Ah well it will have to wait for the cold winter months before I spend hours in front of the PC. Cheers Mike.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:22 am

And thanks for the tutorial - I forgot my manners, Mike!!

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 am