SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

NEW TESTS IN FSET PART 2

G-GMDH

NEW TESTS IN FSET PART 2

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 pm

More tests carried out with two separate settings, default (-6.0 and +12.0) and -3.0 and +6.0 which is a half way point between the two original test settings.

-3.0 and +6.0

I have since re set my settings back to the default of -6.0 and +12.0. telling myself "Don't try to fix what ain't broke"
    donnybalonny

Re: NEW TESTS IN FSET PART 2

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Thats very interesting and I will look into it a bit. I general i find that Bing can be a bit hard in the contrast and dark. But its taste and it also depends on the place.

You have long shadows and the color of the trees are autumn like. In Wales I can imagine that a lot of the fields are grass- green most of the year. In places like Denmark, autumn or spring can have a lot of bare mud fields. They look very plain and this together with a lot of contrast is dull or even depressing. I will post a screenie of it.

What i did in photoshop on the small Island was to lighten the shadows (to much) Darken highlights a bit, and lower the midtone contrast (to much). It is very effectfull, but since it has to be done on each area which then has to be compiled, its like a job and I wont do so simply because of time.

But thanks for putting this up, its worth a look.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 pm

that was an interesting exercise Mike!!
    , however i must come out on the side of the default setting as well. The problem is you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear, so if the original imagery is poor there is precious little that one can do to really make it better.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:49 am

I dont think its a good idea to generalize over some screenies in one place.
    The quality, the sharpness, the color, the hue, changes from place to place even within some 20nm.

In the screenshots above, I also prefer the default settings, but I have some areas, where I would have liked to have it brighter and with less contrast. I have some in Switzerland and also some in Denmark.

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Here you have a screenie from Denmark (East Jylland)
    Its very dark and the colors are wrong. Its from early summer, june I think
    The yellow fields are to greenish and I dont know what they have on the fields right below the AC that is so dark.
    The tiles are Bing, Google looks bad in this region. out of focus and this ugly grey-green filter that I have already shown.

It could be changed in photoshop and it doesnt take long if you use the same setting for all areas, but to manually compile the areas kills me. Each area is a 5 - 7 minut thing. And the are many hundreds, maybe a thousand in a small country like Denmark.

As I said before. I now have a lot more respect for the payware photoscenery, because they have handcolored each area, hand compiled and made water masks for inland waters as well incl. rivers. Shocked

Btw, the little Corby Starlet is an excellent scenery checker. Freeware, 110kt cruise, you see equally well to both sides because its a single seater and the canopy can be removed so that scenery colors can bee seen natural ( I hate tinted glass.) I also flies pretty well.

Last edited by donnybalonny on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot photo)
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:23 am

I could not agree more DB it must be a mind sapping operation to colour-correct thousands of images

It is interesting to see that Sjalland was so clear and correct, yet just a few miles away all the images are nowhere near as good.

Just been looking at Google earth and the east of Sjalland is covered in a box called edition 2 new scenery this must explain why the images are so good there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 pm