SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Not all homemade photoscenery looks great

donnybalonny

Not all homemade photoscenery looks great

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 pm

I´ve working on the northern part of the Peninsula of Denmark and I find that the satelite image quality is very low. I tried with both Bing and Google, but i dont like any. Some parts are very nice, but its very irregular.
    I made some North-East France scenery, I Tried both Bing and Google and the Bing scenery is very good there. Britfrog has made some very nice photoscenery of 4 Daninsh Islands and the image quality is very high.
    I also have the freeware Italy photoscenery with Autogen and some parts are really good, but others are not so good and sometimes there are strong color changes in the scenery which can be annoying.
    I believe the satelite images are from different seasons of the year. At least thats what it looks like.

So here you have some ugly photo scenery from an ugly part of Denmark: They are 1m resolution.

First, this looks like a grey-ish green filter has been layed over the image.

Second:  Here´s a color change. both looks bad and the combination even worse.

Last, The same place in ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC version. Even though I dont like the autogen buildings and especially the textures below the buildings, I find it to be better than the Photoscenery images.
    G-GMDH

Re: Not all homemade photoscenery looks great

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:38 am

Hi DB,

Yes you are absolutely correct NOT ALL satellite images are good quality. When I did the UK a very large part of Scotland was totally unusable. Generally speaking I find Bing to be better quality and more contrast with the colours and the images are more up to date.

However keep up the good work and all the very best with your scenery making.

Cheers and beers, M
    PS Can you give the exact location of these poor images and I will check my FSET. Thanks.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:08 pm

Well, starting to make photoscenery does that I now have a lot more respect for those doing it pro. Its an enormous amount of work to make a good product if you want totally cleaned up coastlines and inland water and no color patches. Clear images and a size that is not to big. Products like VFR France are very expensive, but they also show a lot of dedication. I dont really know products from Megascenery and Horizon. A friend of mine has some Aerosoft VFRGermany and its really bad IMHO.

I have tried both Bing and google and it totally depends on where on earth you are. Bing is more constant in colors and it looks like they get their images from 1 or few souces.
    I started using Bing in Jylland (peninsula Denmark) but the images were very ugly and with to strong contrast
    So I changed to Google and thats what you see above. IMHO, unuseable. I have understood that Google get their images from many different sources and thats why there are so many color changes from 1 tile to another.
    On the other hand, when google is good, I clearly prefer it and especially the coastlines in DK are much better than in bing and DK is all about coastlines.

I will keep Jylland as ORBX package and see how other parts of DK look in photo scenery.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 pm

I just did a random scan of Denmark to test GE against Bing images at Hirtshals using my FSET set up.

GE

BING

The GE image looks out of focus whereas the Bing image is far sharper and better colour quality too.

Interesting..........................?

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:24 pm

I agree. the Northernmost part, of Denmark is very out of focus in GE. Just like the top screenshot I made. Its like someone has left a greyish green glass over the world there.

Up there, the Bing images are very sharp, but the color and contrast is a bit harsh. But, well, thats what there is.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 pm

So, I did a small scenery of the Island of Samsö.
    I used Bing kml file and I manipulated the image and the mask in photoshop elements.
    I lightened the image and lowered the contrast a bit. I lowered it to much but well, its a matter of trial and learn. IMHO, thats the way to get the best out of Bing, because in many places they are a bit  dark and harsh in contrast, but, of course, its a lot of work.

I´m getting better at doing the coast:

Shallow water is not Bings strong point. It looks almost as if it was land and the colores can be weird some times. Google images does this way better, but well, its a matter of compromise as everything else.

And finally a bit of freeware scenery on top to give the place some more life:
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 am

Excellent DB, you will be askin $39.95 for em next.. lol!
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks. Excellent no, acceptable, yes. Smile
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:11 am

just like our hobby , scenery making is also down to personal choice,
    I admire enormously how much progress DB has made in such a short time, just stunning.
    i dont have the time or Patience to go around large areas creating a water mask, yes i know my scenery doesnt look quite as nice but i dont fly low over the sea very often so i am happy with what I do, besides my water colour may well be different from someone elses because I use rex to change the colours of the sea, so i have to match the colour of the sea in the image to what i have in my p.c..
    likewise the choice of image supplier is very personal, and there can be so much variation from one area to another. Colourwise, I found Denmark a bit too dark in Bing for my liking, and yes you can spend hours correcting this, image by image, but is it that important if you are flying over it at more than 3000 feet, and 250 knots?
    As i said it is very personal, and i admire anyone that goes to the greatest lengths to make the scenery and seas as realistic as possible, just as I admire the people that make boats inside a bottle.
    For me it is always a trade off between time to accomplish something divided by the satisfaction one expects to receive, minus the amount of storage space needed, and the effect it has on the p.c.'s performance.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:44 pm

I agree. The scenery you made of the Danish Island Själland is very nice and without doubt, Google images worked the best there. Bing being dark and sad looking.
    Also, with respect of coast lines, your way has its advantage as well because it blends the water well with the earth. I´m not so sure it it will work so well with Bing tiles because the coast look quite different.
    In the end its a matter of taste and its also a compromise.

Well, just a final shot of my little island.
    This time with a freeware EKSS airfield, that looks very danish and cheers up things a bit and also with one of my all time favorite small taildraggers AC (free and pay), the freeware Robín DR221. So its a full free package, groundscenery, airfield and Aircraft. Does anyone remember the old Cream song "I feel free"  Lovely song.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:42 pm

donnybalonny wrote: Does anyone remember the old Cream song "I feel free"  Lovely song.

Now you are showing your age !!! Smile)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 pm