SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

A post about FSX - FSX-SE and P3Dv3

donnybalonny

A post about FSX - FSX-SE and P3Dv3

Post by donnybalonny on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:02 pm

I found this on the Aerosoft preview forum of the CRJ700. The guy who answers, is Mathijs Kok, a long time part of the aerosoft team and one I consider having a good amount of knowledge. (and a lot of patience.

"Quote
    Posted Tuesday at 1:28 PM
    On 6/10/2015, Heavy31 said:
    I currently have FSX but from previous post it seems that P3Dv3/FSX Steam runs better for the CRJ far as performance fps, don't have either at the moment but would like to purchase one awaiting the release, which would you perfer it to run on?

Answer:
    They all have their issues and incompatibilities but basically FSX:STEAM is a better version of FS:SP2 for sure. Bugs are removed. memory management is better and is a bit faster (say 10% to 15% overall. P3D v3 is less standard FSX but still compatible to a great degree. When asked to display the same things (keep in mind the menu setting that look the same use different levels of detail/density etc) it will use less memory than FSX:STEAM does and will be between 25% and 35% faster than FSX:SP2. You just need to be sure that what you want is available for the platform. If that's not the issue P3D v3 is king of the hill at this moment.

That said FSX;SP2 is still a very viable option. Quote"

He says a lot with few words. 3 things i find to be interesting:
    *"You just need to be sure that what you want is available for the platform"  Exactly. P3D is by far the sim with most compatibility issues and it is going to be more pronounced with each new version. Thats simply somthing that we have to face with P3D. We also had a lot of combitability when going from FS2002 to FS2004 to FS2004.
    FSX-SE also has some compitability issues, but they are few compared to P3D
    FSX box is clearly the one working best with old addons and FS2004 portovers.

*"(keep in mind the menu setting that look the same use different levels of detail/density etc)"  Many compare the FSX to P3D with the setting maxed in both sims.  We could no way max the settings in FSX back in 2006. It could hardly move with all settings at minimum. Many simmers nowaday have gone so accostumed to max setting that they cant live with anything else. Poor them... It does create a LOT of problems and one should ask if its really needed.

*"P3D v3 is less standard FSX"
    I like that he still consider P3D even in v3 to be a close relative to FSX. Thats what it is to me as well. Someone who moved to another country and started talking differently. Shocked (Some P3D users hate this and get completely irrational when its being said)

britfrog

Re: A post about FSX - FSX-SE and P3Dv3

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:20 am

some interesting thoughts there,
    personally I still use FSX s2 80% of the time followed by SE which i still consider "under Trial" especially as i cannot get it to see scenery in another folder, Personally I accept that P3D is in some ways superior, however what use is it if you cannot complete a long flight without a ctd? I an certainly not going to put good money after bad and buy into V3.
    I will wait for v4 (or the finished product ) and see how much they expect us to pay for that , as i consider v2.5 and v3 as unfinished beta programs and having shelled out already $199 for 2.5 i am not even going to consider buying v3
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:01 am

I agree. I´m not updating to V3 either.
    I dont think P3D will be a finished product. It doesnt have to either, but the constant updates, are annoying, meaning you have to constantly wait for some develloper making patches and sometimes pay extra to have your addon working in the new version is to much as it is now.
    Microsoft FS wasnt meant to be a finished product either. Back then we had a new version every 2 years or so. FSX was the last, but only because Microsft decided to pull the plug. So FSX ended up being a very long beta test and microsoft left it in the hands of the users to fix what needed to be fixed. Remember how the forums were full of users with huge problems when it came out? (I was one!)
    But that said, if I had a good and stable FSX-box install, then I wouldnt change to anything else as things are right now. Its the sim with the best compitability, the best user suppert (by other users), the most lively community and almost everything is still being develloped for FSX.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm

it is interesting DB that you considered the previous versions of FSIM as simply being updates, I had always thought of them as being new versions, but I suppose you are right as the basic underlying core was much the same.
    so that puts P3D in a different light, as devs in the old days had to remake their scenery and models for each newer version.
    the only big difference therefore is the price of P3D which is ridiculously high.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:27 pm

how much is it. 50 or 60,-€?
    The same as a good quality addon.

updates, new versions its a bit of the same isnt it? I hope Dovetail slowly keeps on making FSX-SE a better sim. I do miss the P3D clouds.
    I have rex4 + soft clouds. In P3D I use the medium high definition Cumulus clouds (2048 me thinks) and they look awesome and transparent. I dont like them in FSX. They look like paintings and are not very transparent, so I use the soft clouds which are 512.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 am

the cost of p3d had been clarified as 60 dollars IF you are a student or 199 dollars if you are not, as i conducted some reviews for various sites, i was advised that I had to use the professional version, especially as at 63 years young i may have difficulty proving I was a student. Smile
    however i accept that most people buy the academic version as it is not interesting for LM to check up on all the academic licence holders to check on their bona fide.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 am

Do you think they check anything or is it a proforma in order to not having problems with others like Dovetail for instance?
    Everything regarding P3D is covered with smoke, but in the end its just a flightsim. Some people seem to love the smoke part because it makes them feel special and different from the FSX box trivials and the FSX-SE kids. pirat
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am

What you have to remember is P3D seems to have been elevated by users as some kind of PMDG of the Flightsim world.

It seems that they are oblivious to the fact that it is still FSX wearing a cloak. When the boxed Gold edition of FSX is installed correctly and on the correct type of machine. Then FSX Gold still remains King of the Castle.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 am

DB, I have no trouble with clouds and all I am using is FSX Gold with REX2 from a few years back.

No weather engine other than FSX real World weather, Result:

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah, it looks good, but the clouds in P3D are just more transparent. You have to try it to see it.
    I use my FSX-SE the most these days, but the P3D looks better. They are set up differently for different purposes, so I cant compare perfoemance but IMHO, they are doing great and I´m happy and thats good enough for me.

Oh, and I agree, there are many forum posters who try to put words like PMDG, P3D, A2A, Realair into every sentence. that way they feel more important and serious. I have stuff from all, but so what. It doesnt make me a better flightsimmer than MrX flying around in FS2004.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:16 pm

jaydor wrote:What you have to remember is P3D seems to have been elevated by users as some kind of PMDG of the Flightsim world.  

It seems that they are oblivious to the fact that it is still FSX wearing a cloak.  When the boxed Gold edition of FSX is installed correctly and on the correct type of machine.  Then FSX Gold still remains King of the Castle.

I agree with you
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

nice pic james !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 am