SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

"Sully - Miracle on the Hudson" - a short book review...

ddavid

"Sully - Miracle on the Hudson" - a short book review...

Post by ddavid on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Yep, I do spend some of my spare time away from the 'pootah. Found the "Sully" book in my local library. Read it and thought I'd share my views with you all...

"Sully - Miracle on the Hudson"

I knew about the event - the Airbus 320 ditching in the Hudson after losing both engines to bird strike. No deaths or casualties - pretty amazing. Then, last year (2016), they brought out the film - a 'must see', with Tom Hanks as the captain. The (film) trailer seemed to propose a psychological drama based around the question of why Sully didn't follow the controller's recommendation and return to LaGuardia. Well, the book reached The Sticks (mid Wales) before the film, so here's a quick review:

Written by Sully (Capt Chesley Sullenberger) himself, together with Wall Street journalist Jeffrey Zaslow, the book is basically autobiographical. Sully takes you from his early years in north Texas, where he learned to fly, to his job in 2009 as Captain with US Airways (merged with AA in 2015). Right from the start, you realise that Sully is a stickler for detail and, in addition, he wants to get everything done just right. He tells of losing colleagues in accidents during his time with the air force, and recalls several close calls. These experiences make him acutely aware of the need to make correct decisions as quickly as possible as delay leads to reducing options. Later, as a commercial pilot, Sully is involved in training crews for emergency situations. This, combined with his extensive technical expertise, makes him an ideal candidate to deal with the challenge of Flight 1549 on January 15, 2009.

The description of the actual event is low key, but still gripping. Sully's dialogues with co-pilot Jeff Skiles, and controller Patrick Harten, are faithfully recorded alongside his description of the stricken aircraft's progress. His initial assessment makes him decide on ditching in the Hudson river as, in his view, this offers the best potential outcome for passengers and crew. During the powerless descent, Sully is offered several alternative landing options including Newark and Teterboro as well as returning to LaGuardia. But he remains convinced about the ditching, which, miraculously, works out exactly as planned. The passengers rapidly exit the aircraft onto the wings and ramp-floats, and the first rescue ship reaches them in under 4 minutes. Predictably, Sully becomes a national hero and is lauded by all. He enjoys his moment of fame but gets back to flying as soon as is permissible.

The book may sound like a fairy tale but its realism reflects Sully's own attention to detail, particularly his responsible attitude towards his passengers, crew and family. He comes across as a great guy and, of course, a brilliant pilot. So, by all means, go see the film, but read the book too!

Get it from your own local library, or Amazon, etc.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Re: "Sully - Miracle on the Hudson" - a short book review...

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I have only recently watched this and Tom Hanks spent a lot of time with Capt Chesley Sullenberger so that he could best portray him in what is an excellent film. In my book the captain and all his crew are heroes.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Professional actor plays professional pilot, eh?

BTW - have you read it yet?

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:59 am