SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

which simulator is the future?

Admin
    Admin

which simulator is the future?

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:22 pm

I suppose it is only a matter of time before LM own up to what has been in public understanding for some time, and that is they are producing a 64 bit version of FSX, sorry P3D! so what has P3D brought to the table so far?
    very slightly improved graphics and shading and less VAS usage at the expense of having a lower LOD radius.
    Oh and improved flight dynamics (apparently) and dont forget cloud shadows, and all this has taken over 4 years!!
    They also have a majorly stupid agreement whereas 80 odd percent of the users are hobbyists who should not be using the program in the first place!
    So what will going 64 bit bring to the table? It will allow the program to no longer be shackled by the 4gb (sorry 3gb ) limit of a 32 bit program and open it up so that one can use 32gb or more but it will not entirely eliminate the VAS problem just move it up a bit.
    So what will you get for your money? As I see it, not a lot! you wil no doubt be able to run your orbx programs better etc and the a/c may be less prone to out of memory problems but in the short term that is pretty well it, there is nothing new coming to the table but you probably will be expected to buy all new a/c and scenery if it is made specifically for the new sim.
    However in short we are still using flight models and scenery design that goes back to Fsim 2000 that is 17 years old!!
    I feel a raw deal coming on!!

The alternatives are x plane 11 which is really going places with masses of new ideas and development going on and DCS world which is also alive with new stuff
    so who will you be putting your money on?
    personally I see XPlane being my choice for the future.
    ddavid

Re: which simulator is the future?

Post by ddavid on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Rotorheads agree - well, most of 'em do - that the helicopter flight dynamics in DCS World beat other sims, including X-Plane, hands down. Plus the weather engine in DCS is pretty good - and I mean wind effects on flight behaviour as well as lowering clouds. Oh, and the vertices limit on DCS models is somewhat higher - but that could be a 64-bit effect. And did I mention AI?

Ah, but DCS isn't world wide, so you can't fly the pond, etc.

So, I reckon that GTA-VIII will be the winner when it expands to cover the world and adds flight dynamics - details, really!

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 pm

with the recent news that LM is attending the flight sim con in a couple of months it is fairly reasonable to presume , especially after aerosofts news today, that they will formally announce P3DV4 (64bit) at the convention. It is now clear due to NDV's that quite a few companies are already producing products for the new sim, However it will be interesting to see what degree LM are changing the sim that we have used for more years than we care to admit Will they totally remake the flight dynamics? as this is fundamental in my eyes, and what about graphics?? the fsx graphics engine and scenery hasnt been updated since fs2002!! Will companies making stuff for V4 expect to sell them at a new price or give them away?  I think even with the might of LM behind V4 it will be hard for them to compete with XP11, so the wait goes on. There is no doubt that XP11 requires a lot of processor horsepower which means quite an investment for an upgrade , will the same be needed for V4??  this in itself may be the deciding factor of whether v4 or XP11 will succeed
    Interesting times!
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:50 pm

I wonder wich way I will go...? bounce bounce bounce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am