SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Ireland - North & South - Water Masking

tony.meredith

Ireland - North & South - Water Masking

Post by tony.meredith on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Guys,
    Has anyone created 'Ireland' with full water masking of lakes and rivers not just coast?

I have Horizon Volumes 9 and 10 for FSX and FS9 but they were produced from frames of 16mm cine film and don't cover Northern Ireland. The FS9 version I remade myself using the Horizon data as many blemishes on the stock photo data were not corrected.

Working with Charles Dodman we have started on the top third of the Island. We are doing full water masking by hand  and hope to finish before SpaceX send their customers around the moon. Shocked

Does anyone have a quicker way of achieving the water masking?

Cheers,

Tony
    jaydor

Re: Ireland - North & South - Water Masking

Post by jaydor on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Dai has made excellent water mask's, so ask him!!
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi Tony - and thanks for the compliments, James!

From doing the Isle of Mull, last year, I remember making water masks was a long winded job, but well worthwhile as long as the mesh approximates to reality, otherwise you get water coated slopes around the edges of lakes, etc. I used Gimp for making the masks as per this:

I'm sure there's a way to make some of the work quicker but I didn't find it!

Good luck, Tony - look forward to the results, especially the Gap of Dunloe which I visited some 49 years ago with a certain Young Lady.

Cheers - Dai. Cool

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Dai,
    First priority, my regards to your young lady. I hope you are both well.

Charles and I are both using Corel PaintShopPro X9 x64bit. The auto masking tool works very well in most inland lakes but we switch to manual trace mode for the coastal areas and rivers.

My original enquiry was to see if anyone had found a source data like OS maps with the water tagged that I could have used a bit like placing trees and autogen. Not to worry, it should be done by Christmas if we don't have good golfing weather during spring summer and autumn. Very Happy

When I need a break from masking I am continuing to make models for Jersey and another island that ES didn't include.

Forgot to add, The Gap is way down in the Republic. We are doing NI with a small section of the Republic. The 'South' will be for next year, maybe!

Cheers,

Tony
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 pm

It is possible to automate the generation of water effects for FSX from Open Street Map Data and here is a link to further information.....

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/watermask-from-shapefile.433999/

I am not clever enough to have even tried this but have been reasonably successful making buildings and trees.

Hope this may be of some little help Tony.

Cheers Mike.

PS. Just found this on how to extract coastline information from OSM... http://osmcode.org/osmcoastline/ and http://openstreetmapdata.com/data/water-polygons
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Good catch Mike - thanks, Mate!

Ciao - Dai. Cool

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks Guys, will check it out.

Tony

Sponsored content