SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Windows 10 installation

jaydor

Windows 10 installation

Post by jaydor on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Here is the update of my conversion from win7 to win10.  I have installed win10 onto a 1TB HDD drive.  The windows10 home version is a USB flashdrive from Amazon at a cost of £85.99.

My machine is a desktop self build gaming setup using a MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard with the Z77 chipset, Intel i7 2600k 3.5Ghz CPU overclocked to 4.2Ghz, nVidia 660ti card with 4gb memory and a Samsung 34'' ultra-wide screen 3440x1440 display

Installation was very fast and with the add-ons required, nVidia Experience and Netgear for WiFi etc., windows was up and running.  Now I have to admit, I have been very apprehensive of succumbing  to win10, but my win7 was playing me up so much that the plunge was taken.

Form my short time of exploring win10, all I can say is it is really win7 with all the security updates and a different GUI plus a few more bells and whistles.  Right clicking of the mouse button will bring  all the win7 boxes that you have been used to.  A week into using win10 and I am gaining confidence each time I use it.  It's amazing how quickly I have settled into 10 and am using it with confidence more and more.

I was concerned about the so called spying issues of win10, but as always there are work around to most, by just switching them off.  Windows updates can be set to install during the evening or late night by selecting a time to update.  You can switch update off by telling windows you are on a metered connection.  But with Windows Defender now the principle windows antivirus program, updates are recommended..

I have installed FSX Steam edition into win10 and it seems more stable than win7.  All my peripherals are running correctly (Vrinsight Airbus FMCU, Saitek instrument panels, etc.,)

I am also using Flight connect for FSX for my Tablet and Aivlasoft EFB on my Laptop.  So after all my concerns about win10, I am using it with confidence and ease, so if you are sitting on the apron fence uming and arring, don't be afraid of upgrading, you will have to do it sometime in the future so it may as well be now.

Still learning and will keep you informed of any issues..

G-GMDH

Re: Windows 10 installation

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Many thanks James for the update and amazing photo of your flight sim the envy of many I'm sure.

I also tried updating to Win 10 using their so called free version but it just didn't complete the installation after many hours of downloading.

So for me I'm sticking with Win 7 as it works perfectly OK with FSX and never had any problems with the boxed version or Steam.

I keep reminding myself "Don't fix what ain't broke".

Cheers M.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Mike,

All my troubles started when I did a fresh install of win7. It was as if Microsoft had installed something on a hotfix to prevent it working properly, thus forcing me to go 10. So if I were you, I would do a ghost copy of your FSX drive as a back up..
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Today I spent time on rebuilding the sim station, so that with switched USB ports I can fly light aircraft or Heavies.  As you can see I am using the Saitek TPM for GA and on the small table under it, the Thrustmaster throttle.  A new Laptop for Aivlasoft EFB and Navigraph charts. The grey laptop between the computer and the screen is a swivel screen and used for EFB or charts.  The tablet on the small table is using FSX Connect for the moving map and is also used to display the Virtual Avionics FMC Touchpad.  The aircraft on the main 34'' screen is the RealAir Lancair Legacy with 2 Flight1 GTN750 Garmin nav panels.  I repainted the dash-panel yellow myself.  To stop the pedals slipping I have put Velcro grips on the underside of the pedal base..

I have kept the wiring off the floor to ease cleaning and the power outlets have been fixed to the desk bracing..  Yes there is a large amount of cables..

Last edited by jaydor on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 am

this may prove to be the deal maker or breaker for win10 i have known about this for about 3 or 4 months now but it was mostly rumours

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/windows-10-getting-high-performance-game-mode/

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:29 pm

You guys who are sticking with Windows 7 may wish to read the following article regarding security.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-7-in-2017-is-so-outdated-that-patches-cant-keep-it-secure/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=91863676

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Tony,
    an interesting article clearly written by those that have most to gain by the move to win10 ie the cia, nsa, us gov, hm gov etc so now after all the m.s underhand efforts, they are trying the scare tactics to get more people to move over,
    One has to ask the question about win 10, why did m.s give their best dollar earner away???, are we to believe that m.s did it out of the goodness of their hearts? No clearly someone is paying the piper , so the question is why?

the national health in the uk still use windows XP as do, ALL their european counterparts, if it aint broke why fix it? if win 7 is so insecure where does that leave XP which still has 20% of the market ?
    windows 10 brings nothing new to the table for the average current simmer (other than one not needing to update the O.S. with 192 updates from a purposely slowed down win 7 server) however it has over 50 programs in it which transmit everything you do including all key pushes to M.S. WHY???

A few years ago this is what a virus did and the virus makers were prosecuted and vilified!! !! yet we are supposed to praise M.S for giving us win 10???

there is no doubt that kicking or screaming we will all move over to win 10 or 11, however I already use linux on 1 drive for much stuff (no games yet) and i see my future going in this direction

i do not wish to be similated, by making a comparison of what i do on M.s. with a direct comparison with facebook, my emails, and numerous other sites. Whislt I have nothing to hide i do value my privacy, and if M.S. can legally distribute viruses, what comes next? the Borg??
    however much like Brexit its all B.S. whilst I still have the right to choose i will ignore the B.S. and continue with what operating system works and gives me the least grief.

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Admin,
    You use whatever operating system you choose and enjoy it. Very Happy

Just remember Mr Gates even after giving away Windows 10 is still the Richest man in the world by a big margin. There is more money to be made in selling information these days than computer operating systems. That's how Face thingy, Twitter, Instagram and the rest make a profit. They collect all your data and sell it for targeted advertisements.

When it comes to spies accessing my machine I bet I am much better placed than you. I am 13 miles by road to to the biggest site in the UK and a damn site less as the crow flies. Shocked

I often wonder if I forget a password to access something, would they give me a reminder if I telephoned the front gate.

Must go, typing is holding up my model making work.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 am

Here in Italy all the Post Offices, supermarkets, hospitals and other Government establishments are still using Windows XP and they are connected to the internet.

Regarding the "spies" our computers are only a small part to play, what about our mobile phones of whatever type, fixed landline telephones even TV sets are fitted with monitoring devices so for those of us suffering from paranoia I would suggest building a lead lined room and get rid of all our electronic devices!

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Guys,
    Again, you may find this interesting: -

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-composable-shell?bt_ee=Bxow5+k5k3BBEXmMUSuI9fJIjxEgKh4sIJu+CZXRwyLo9Ni1MEhBvuQDmbBG9ID/&bt_ts=1484758928060

Just to throw my two cents worth into the fray can I say that I have a Windows Mobile Phone 950 and a Microsoft Band 2.

The way you can customise the front screen is the best on the market and you can expand the internal memory, (if you can afford it and the chip is available to 2TB). I did write 2TB! It has water cooling as you can use the phone via a dongle with a full large screen set-up. It also has cordless charging and uses USB 'C'

When I purchased it I could get a number of Flight related Apps just like the guys using IOS and Android. The Apps for things like Banking and controlling other devises were due shortly.

In the past year the Banks that didn't do Apps for Windows phone have said they never will. There was a Bank in California I believe who did embrace the OS but I don't live in California. Did I mention with each OS update the Apps I did have at day 1 have started to die. They no longer receive developer support.

Looking on the bright side my Band 2 has more sensors to report my health to who ever will pay for it than any other Band or Watch. It links seamlessly with my phone because they are both Microsoft. Err actually no it doesn't link seamlessly it is a nightmare of hit and miss and don't get me started on the walking App. "You start and I'll locate GPS" it says, except it doesn't! You have to stand in one place for up to ten minutes whilst it locks GPS. If you take it at it's printed screen word the minute you set off it gives up. It does suggest when you stop the app that you should have selected to use GPS.

On a plus side it auto scores at Golf using the 'Taylor Made' App. That actually works once it know if you are you right or left handed, do you wear the band on the right or left and do you wear it over the wrist or under it. It will even transfer your stats to your phone sometimes.

My significant other aka her who must be obeyed has no problem syncing the Band to her iPhone so it must just be a Microsoft thing, err?

Don't laugh there is a plus side, I have relegated the phone to status of 'spare' and with the weather at the moment I'm not golfing all of which means I am spending more time on Flight Simulation.

In conclusion, and referring back to the link above. If I can get my full FSX onto my Windows Phone and then run it on any 72inch screen I am able to link with whose going to be smiling then at Cosford 2017.

I'm not holding my breath. Very Happy Laughing

Cheers.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 am

I have to say when m.s proposed taking a dumbed down os and ui from a phone and putting it on a p.c. I thought it would be a disaster, for me the ui is nowhere near as visually pleasing as the earlier versions.
    The main bone of contention that I have is the abysmally slow file transfer speed which is only marginally better than windows vista and that broke all records of lethargy. However one hopes as time goes on that they will address this.
    The last link that you posted Tony was interesting , at least they are looking at ways of scaling down a proper OS and UI rather than the recent opposite way.
    However I was under the opinion having read recent articles that m.s. were on the verge of binning the windows phone due to the fact that the public didnt buy it.
    I think though that i must be a tech dinosaur as i use a mobile phone as a phone and a p.c. as a p.c. i get no enjoyment, only frustration, when trying to squint my eyes to read an email on a 5 inch screen in the sunlight , as for apps? from what i see most were created for the mentally challenged with an average age of under ten. I did try a couple of a/c radar apps but found that my download usage was being used up by the masses of unwanted adverts that came over the ether as well as the battery life that disappeared because i needed to activate , my location and gps functions just to check out what the aircraft was passing over my head and by the time all the apps were talking and working the a/c had long disappeared from sight.
    fsx on a phone? no thanks! 3x 24 inch screens is barely adequate for my poor eye sight Smile

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:06 pm

And the next instalment.............

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-versus-windows-7-whose-numbers-do-you-trust/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=91863676

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Game Mode

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-game-mode?bt_ee=PHmv0GdXoNM+I4HuQ/5dwe2sVYKGpZHSSRW44iuzYMx7mYTN9SgZ/G8YIM8VAno/&bt_ts=1485453502735
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 pm

this has been knocked around for some time and i welcome any beneficial improvement to performance, however I fear it will not have much effect on FSx, (i can currently get up to 220fps if required ) perhaps it will have more effect with P3D but P3d is nearly a dead duck and will be a thing of the past if they have not gone 64bit by easter, or at least officially announced their intention to go 64 bit.
    when you compare the difference between graphics on some of the latest games and P3D it is ridiculous, some of the car or motorcycle games are so realistic, and more frame friendly than the likes of orbx.
    Mind you x plane 11 isnt exactly top drawer stuff graphically either but at least they have sorted out most of the bugs in going 64bit something LM have to look forward to, and that doesnt happen overnight.

Personally I would not be surprised to see LM announce the end of development on P3d, they have got it to a satisfactory level that works well on their military simulators with free input from joe public to fix all the bugs , so i would not be a bit surprised if they cut us loose. After all they earn more money from one military contract than 10 times the number that have bought into P3D,

Time will tell
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Well, it's been 5 weeks now since I installed win10. Everything is working a treat including all my peripherals, no OOM's, no crash to desktop. good fps, all the top addons working as they should. So far very pleased with win10 and I was one of the worst advocates for not going over from 7..

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 pm

there is a palpable reduction of stress in your writing glad to hear it has worked out well.

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 am

Now that you are settling with Windows 10 the following article link may be of interest to you. It details how to access start-up files etc.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/get-more-information-on-window-10s-startup-tab-by-enabling-additional-columns/?ftag=TREe331754&bhid=91863676

Tony
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you for the link Tony, I have always disabled most in startup even in win7.. Smile
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Update of sim set up.  I decided to bring my second computer into play and combine both for flight operations.  The second \9red\0 computer is running win7.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Looks very impressive!! Cool

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Do you have to notify the local power station prior to switching "that lot" on............................M Laughing

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 pm

News on the OS front for those who don't follow such things. The Windows 10 "Creator" Update is due to go RTM before the end of the month.

Allegedly you will have much more control over what info Microsoft can sell about you. They have realised Google and Face thing harvest much more so are giving up, a bit like they have done with Windows Phone and the MS Band.

Just remember if you watch Hawaii 5 O those phones they use are collector item antiques.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 am