SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

AUTOGEN BUILDINGS

G-GMDH

AUTOGEN BUILDINGS

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Extracting data from Open Street Maps and converting to auto gen for FSX. I had already made the trees using this data and now added some buildings.

Flying over Toronto in Canada.

A lot more pots of tea to be brewed whilst burning the mid-night oil.
    ddavid

Re: AUTOGEN BUILDINGS

Post by ddavid on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Love the outside loo, lower right!

Mind you, it looks very realistic, Mike - thanks for sharing. (And ignore his remarks - Ed)

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Bog off Dai.....................seriously the work continues and I am now a lot happier with the end results with thanks to Adnan Arif for his reworked FSX auto-gen textures which I found courtesy of Fly Away Simulation.

ddavid

Post by ddavid on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Actually that latest screen shot looks very realistic, Mike - excellent work.

Cheers - Dai. Cool

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:22 pm

The work continues and this latest effort is using GEX Enhanced Auto Gen courtesy of Fly Away Simulation. I think I prefer the previous buildings.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 pm

must say I am not a great fan of autogen but I think the photo just before the night time one is very realistic and does not detract from the experience
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 pm

I guess you hit the nail on the head when you say: "... does not detract from the experience".

I reckon - well, in my limited experience of simming - that immersion is mainly about suspension of disbelief. So, when you're trying to land a helicopter in gusty winds on a roof-top, the area surrounding the LZ is of little importance - as long as the pad looks reasonable, you concentrate on hetting down without breaking the skids, or whatever. Similarly, landing a heavy (as if!?!) in a cross wind, you're too busy with the controls to assess the detail of the runway and airport scenery.

Ah - but what about sight seeing - low and slow? That's when even the very best payware scenery fails to keep your disbelief suspended. Maybe it's a flaw in a texture, lack of a shadow or a failing in the sim engine like the lake reflection of the FSX sun shining through the mountain, and *pop* there goes the immersion and you're back in front of your PC screen looking at the remains of a cold cup of tea.

So, for me, until FSX, XP-1x or P3D catches up with games like GTA5, autogen is as good as it gets - and I think Mike's efforts take you as close to the max as you will get.

Just my 10 cents, as ever!

[/lect]

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:48 pm

could not agree more david, because most of my scenery is photoscenery i now have 2/3rds of all europe covered thus,  I am effectively flying over somewhere i know, and i know it exists, even when flying low and slow. As you quite rightly said ones immersion in the sim can be suddenly and completely broken by the appearance of some hideous building popping up out of place.those pics of Mikes do not Jarr and you can fly over them because they blurr into the backgound but give a third dimension if you want to look more closely , without looking out of place. I wish I had his patience!

All we need to do now is encourage mike to find a way of introducing street lighting and away we go.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Funny you mentioning street lights Nigel, that's exactly what I've been up to over the last few days. Watch this space..............
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Not so easy as I have just found street lights in the lake.....................back to some tweaking.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:22 pm

A mere illusion mike close your eyes and they will quickly disappear , paint the sea green like a forest and they will look in place Smile all joking aside i am impressed !
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:18 pm

My amateur attempt of making auto-gen buildings and trees, this time for the coastline of France between La Garonne and Menton. This is what it looks like from the cockpit near Cannes-Mandelieu Airport................................

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:16 pm

sheeeee it that is so much better than the professionally available stuff, 'kin well done!!!
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 pm

It is interesting to compare low quality photoscenery with mikes autogen and a higher quality photoscenery. Mikes scenery shows up perfectly the shortcomings of ordinary photoscenery Ie at a slant angle it appears flat, ok the HD photoscenery when looked down vertical is great but photoscenery with mikes autogen adds  great depth to scenery at a distance when it would normally appear flat.  I am not normally a supporter of autogen because so much of it just looks wrong or it jarrs and distracts from the atmosphere of flying, Mikes autogen hits a perfect balance of improving the atmosphere and enhancing the experience

The embedded photos without a picture showing are on oz x site , which i wont be using again
    Taking off from LFMN
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8Ao

large buildings around a port
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8Av

no buildings on roads or railways
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8AX

buildings in the distance are not flat here you can see the end of HD photoscenery and the lower quality scenery in the distance is better
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8LF

a hill with roads
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8LT

same hill but a bit further around with HD scenery
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8L0

the blend between low and high quality scenery however the autogen fits in perfectly
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8AD

Looks good to me
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8AZ
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8AY

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8AP
    This photo shows exactly the problem of photoscenery from a distance
    http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G8Ae
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 pm

So why not simply use the lower res photo scenery's autogen with your own high res stuff? K

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 am

Personally, if the photoscenery is good enough, I prefer not to have autogen buildings when I´m 1500 feet AGL or above. Autogen building distracts me A LOT and cuts inmersion because 95% of the time they either dont look correct or are positioned above something wrongly,

I like a sparse vegetation. And in Mikes 2nd and 3rd photos, its the trees inbetween the houses that does the thing for me, compared with the 1st.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm

This is when auto-gen doesn't look so good as the OSM data is lacking many of the buildings.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm

My latest project auto-gen for Ireland.

WATERFORD 1

WATERFORD 2

INDUSTRIAL AREA NORTH OF WATERFORD

INDUSTRIAL AND RESIDENTIAL AREA NORTH OF WATERFORD

FOREST

ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 pm

When do you sleep, Mike?!?

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 am

Well I do sleep very well.

Since installing my new 16 GB of RAM my PC now processes the auto-gen data at the speed of light so making the buildings and trees for Malta took 3.34 seconds and Ireland with 32,000 yes that's 32 thousand auto-gen files took 19 minutes!!!!!

So you see Dai I have plenty of time to sleep. cheers Mike.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:07 pm

good little airport at waterford, has an industrial estate next to it have dropped in there a few times for fuel, he did it VAT free (wink wink) when he learnt that my trips were from inishmore (short runway , hence no fuel even then it was get to the end of the runway and pull) he made me pay the landing fee with 2 lobsters, the robber Smile
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Mike has redone my regions autogen, and I have to say I am well impressed , especially as I have spent the last 20 odd years in fsim, avoiding or removing autogen. If you take the first photo, just climbing out of LFMP at less than 500 feet , the nearbye village stands out, with just photogen it would just be a blurr and flat. now bear in mind this autogen is on top of my own photoscenery scanned at 0 in fset.

the secon pic shows the same village from 1500 feet , you will notice how well the autogen lies on the photoscenery  there are no buildings on the roads , and look at the station buildings off the lh wing

this is roughly the same shot but with no autogen at all only photoscenery, now check out the station

this next pic is with autogen again but here i have reduced autogen to dense , however here the autogen mixes so well it is difficult to tell what is autogen and what is photoscenery

likewise this pic

photoscenery

with autogen, note how it has picked out rows of houses  under the nose however one or two warehouses are not quite right

autogen at a distance, it gives "flat" photoscenery some depth

no autogen

the great thing from my point of view is that this autogen doesnt hit frame rates as far as i can see, and if you are the kind that bimbles along vfr at below 3000 feet it has to increase the enjoyment /immersion.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:29 pm

You bet me to it Nigel, here is my bit of France around Cannes-Mandelieu Airport. The auto-gen slider in FSX is very critical and not to be pushed more than the "Dense" setting otherwise "ghost buildings" are generated within FSX.

Its not perfect but its improved from my first experiments.

ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Très impressionnant, Mon Ami!

My word but there are a lot of swimming pools, eh?

And which lift were you in when you recorded the music? Only kidding...

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

Fantastic Mike..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:02 am