SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

X Plane Demo

G-GMDH

X Plane Demo

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Well I bit the bullet, well sort of and downloaded the demo. On my fairly fast 10 MBs download it took over an hour. The setting up of the joystick is a lot easier compared to the 10 version and I was flying around the default area in 15 minutes. My immediate impression was the default scenery, which I think may be based on Open Street Maps Data, looks realistic including all the buildings, the inside of the Cessna cockpit looked good too.

What came as a pleasant surprise was it ran on my 2 core processor with only 4 GB of RAM.

There is something about it that makes you go back and fly again albeit a limited time in the demo version.

With access to free global photo real scenery and the ability to convert existing FSX scenery I could easily be converted, but at only 20 FPS I would need a new 4 core CPU and increased RAM.

Recommended Hardware Requirements by X - Plane 11:

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K at 3.5 ghz or faster

Memory: 16-24 GB RAM or more

Video Card: a DirectX 12-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 4 GB VRAM (GeForce GTX 1070 or better or similar from AMD)
    britfrog

Re: X Plane Demo

Post by britfrog on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:47 am

Didnt see this mike, must admit that my p.c. struggles a bit when using a few add ons, but once away from an airport all is ok, it will be interesting to see how it copes with photoscenery, however I think finally XP has finally produced a serious competitor to FSX and if P3D is not 64 bit by easter next year it will be a sim of the past.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:23 am

Reading the recommended PC requirements for XP-11 reminds me how old - and fragile - my old box is. So, trying the demo would be tantalisingly frustrating - I'll just have to read your comments and linger over your screenshots...

Nothing new there, I think! Still, I still have DCS World to fly the Huey - which my PC does reasonably well.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 am

Ok, I have a few What a Face questions.
    1)How big a download/install is the demo?
    2)how is it limited
    3)can freeware scenery and aircraft addons be checked out

I´ve been looking around and I find x-plane to be interesting now. There´s a certain "fresh" feeling about it. The freeware spanish photoscenery looks very interesting as well and I would like to test its quality. The FSX/P3D Spain photoscenery you can buy, download as freeware or make yourself is very patchy and notvery satisfactory
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi DB ,
    I downloaded just the demo initially which gives you about 15 maybe 20 minutes flying at a time around KSEA the download was reasonably quick about 3gb's i would guess. I also downloaded mr X's add ones which give excellent ai a/c and air side vehicles etc, i also downloaded his boston scenery but that will not work at the moment as Boston is deliberately under water Smile)
    My initial observations are that the flying models flight dynamics need a lot of attention , so i downloaded a few freebies to compare and they were better. One has to get ones head around the fact that this is a stock sim which people will build onto , but having said that a lot of the stock scenery is much better than stock p3d/fsx quite rightly. I am lead to believe that if you pay for xp11 it will open up all the areas currently under water like boston, but one still has to bear in mind it is an early beta so far from perfect. However one still gets the odd WOW moment.
    I find i keep going back to it and trying it to compare certain things, much as I do P3D.
    here is an enormous amount to like with xp11 and more and more devs are making stuff for it, certain stuff isnt as polished as that on fsx/p3dbut it is early days , however if p3d doesnt go 64 bit by easter, it is my opinion that xp11 will leapfrog P3D, however recent indications are that p3d is going 64 bit but no indication of when. Another thing I like about xp is the huge amount of free stuff available , and some of it is very good indeed. I am hoping that swmbo has noticed my interest in XP11 and puts it under the christmas tree for me Smile)
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Nigel
    Thanks for the feedback which gives me a better idea of what there is. I might download and check "good ole KSEA"  (oh my lovely fs2004 days (I´m a fs2004 romantic)Rolling Eyes )
    I´m surprised about what you say about the flight dynamics because a lot of users say they are way better than FSX dynamics, but maybe its just better than default FSX.

´What I was actually interested in was trying this Spain photoscenery:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/29595-spain-ultra-high-definition-photoscenery-spainuhd/

I would like to see some screen shots which are closer. The water transitions are really good. (and yes, I´m very picky with that part of photoscenery)
    My main problem is that I have little time for flightsimming and one use a LOT of time with a new simulator, but on the otherhand, it could boost some life into my slightly faded enthusiasm.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:05 pm

That Spain scenery looks interesting!! the thing is once you are used to fsx p3d as we are for so many years there are times when the xp stuff almost looks outlandish, but in other cases it looks so much more realistic than fsx.
    The free demo will not play this yet so we have to wait for now, however if you buy the beta you will be able to play all the scenery but will have to await for the main prog to be released, which imho will be a month or two yet, as laminar is a small team with a chief who has a big ego who constantly hijacks the devs to change something he wants done rather than let them get on with stuff. Still i think it has huge potential
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Worth a few minutes to study this video of XP-11 flight over Spain. To be honest I'm not blown away with the results compared to home made FSET HD photo real scenery with auto-gen buildings and trees although the water looks very nice.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:14 pm

it has some pretty interesting views though pity he went through the gorges because it was too close, a pity there wasnt enough city work to compare with fsx but what is noticeable is the depth of field which is noticeably better than fsx
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 am

Mike, I follow you if you compare this scenery with what you can do with FSET in places where the tiles are in good quality.
    I have tried making FSET scenery for Spain but it was not worth it. Very patchy and poor quality in most parts. I also downloaded parts of the freeware photoscenery of Spain and nope. The same problem. So in this view, this X-plane scenery is interesting. Remember I lived in Spain for 15 years. Wink
    I dont know, maybe I will check out the demo. But not yet. I´ve just found a new, very nice pass time and besides, if i buy XP11, I end up wanting the PMDG DC-6, plus some extra goodies. Its not going to be cheap and I only fly an hour or so 3 - 4 times a week.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Whilst i am not a supporter of megascenery earth for FSX/P3D having bought some of their not so good stuff, i have to say from what I have seen their Spain scenery is pretty good, well better than the free Spanish photoscenery, and fset images at any rate , however cheap it isnt!
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:48 pm

I believe you. Its just so that my experience with MSE is horrible. I bought a US scenery that was really bad and I bought Ireland on a sale and it was also unacceptable. Patchy. muddy, fsx scenery popping through, mushy coastlines. I have deleted both scenerys and I dont even have them on a harddrive. I can download from MSE, but I will never do so. Just trash.

What happened to this demo video. The link is gone?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:23 pm

I have been trying the new version of XP11 and it just gets better
    the AI a/c are so much better than FSX to look at
    the noticeable thing is that objects in the distance stay sharp and focussed, not blurred as in FSX

The demo ran out Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:26 am