SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Thinking of buying FSX SE??

britfrog

Thinking of buying FSX SE??

Post by britfrog on Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 pm

For those that are thinking of making the jump , i can recommend it, and at roughly £18 it really is a no brainer you wont be bowled over by its being masses better than the premium FSX but it is better in loads of little ways, the most important being that it has all the drivers for the new graphics cards so it is much faster than the box edition.
    recently when making a video of Mt Snowdon i was very happy to be getting 128fps in fsx, and 70 odd in P3D but exactly the same scenery, gave me an extraordinary 220 fps in FSx SE

Nuff said
    G-MSJC

Re: Thinking of buying FSX SE??

Post by G-MSJC on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 pm

This is the Steam Edition. Bought FSX Steam sometime ago (with G-GMDH) and both of us preferred to use our older FSX. Perhaps you can keep us informed as time goes by?
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:44 pm

I am downloading it now and will install and do a full appraisal in a week or two..
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 am

Would welcome you views (pros and cons).
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I have FSX-SE with DX10 fixer and I have P3Dv2.5 (wont get V3)

P3D is clearly the prettiest. More depth in the colors and especially the clouds and other transparent things look better. But it always have and will always have IMHO compitability issues. And its rough on VAS, so if you like advanced jets, lots of autogen and long flights it says no after 500nm of flying
    FSX-se runs very stable. I havent had any real problems so far (5 month) Its fast, faster than P3D and the combitability is almost FSX. There are fsx aircraft which dont like steam. But very few.
    The best is that you dont have to and SHOULD NOT tweak it like FSX box. It has been tweaked by dovetail.
    As it is now, its my reference FS.

Backside, I dont like this steam thing and what Orbx and steam has started could have bad consequenses. Orbx now release addons on Steam solely where you have to wait 3 month to get it elsewhere. I stopped buying ORBX a while ago so it doesnt affect me, but these tendencies are not good for the community in general.

There are some issues if you keep you FSX box install. Read and ask if in doubt.

I dont have FSX box so I cant compare. For me FSX box was a bad experience.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:35 pm

I am at the moment writing an appraisal for you all. I have 2 machines with FSX on A and FSX-SE on B. There maybe; reading a little about it at the moment, a better way to fly together on the Multiplayer system, but this has to be tested more, the possibility of one of our own members hosting the session looks to be an improvement than looking for a server.. Watch this space.. Smile
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:25 pm

This is ALL very interesting reading and perhaps FSX SE needs to be looked at again? I must admit my first try at SE didn't seem to be any improvement over my normal FSX and I wasn't too pleased that at the time it needed to be connected to the internet, why?

I look forward to further reports on the comparisons between the two versions.

Its an important point about multi player servers as some will not allow the SE version of FSX and I don't know why?

Cheers, M
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:27 pm

One problem I get is STEAM has to update every time I switch on the laptop. This is very annoying and time consuming, when I haven't got FSX SE or any other Steam product installed. Although I did purchase FSX SE a while ago and it remains in my Steam account.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am

If I had a good and solid FSX box install, I wouldnt use anything else.
    I strongly dislike this steam thing, but the update takes a few seconds on my FS computer.
    The Flightsim is good though. I like it and recommend it.

My favorite flightsim ever is FS2004. I never really though about it, I knew its limits and I flew a LOT of hours in FS2004. When I came back to flying again, I used it for almost 2 years before getting P3D.
    And Fs2004 forums are by far the most relaxed.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:47 pm

I know james will not welcome this news as he bought SE yesterday so what happens today????
    aerosoft are selling it for €5.04 thats less than £4
    must be a gift!!!
    if you havent got , get it!!
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:14 pm

G-MSJC and I can top that at 4-99 euros last Christmas! Cool

All joking aside I have re downloaded SE and it works. That's all I can say at the moment, no massive increases in FPS or go faster stripes, it just works!!

How do I copy and paste my aircraft across to the SE version as for the life of me I cannot find the FSX SE or Sim Object folders?

Hope you SE experts can help PLEASE?

Cheers, M

jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:33 am

FSX-SE Steam Edition appraisal
    -----------------------------------------

Due to a Glitch in my normal FSX on my work machine, which I have been using on 2 machines without a problem for a few years.

I took the opportunity to buy DoveTail FSX-SE and install it on my work machine to see if there is really the improvement that

is talked about.  So this is my adventure with it so far:

To be able to purchase FSX-SE, you have to install STEAM onto you machine and become a registered member of STEAM, this formality

is quite quick and after confirming registration via an email link to your mailer, I was a member of the STEAM community.

The quickest way to find FSX on STEAM is to use the search bar at the top right by typing FSX into it and press search.  It will then

display all the FSX material on DoveTail.  The last 3 in the link are for X10 so be careful not to buy them 3.

I selected FSX and pressed the buy button priced at the time @ £19.99.  You can pay with all cards and PayPal, I chose PayPal.  Now this

opens up to your PayPal and you select pay.  The window then returns to DoveTail for you to complete the purchase.

This may well have only happened to me at the time, but after I selected the pay button in DoveTail the pay now button turned

to WORKING and remained there for some considerable time. (In fact forever).  

So I pressed backspace and returned to the previous window and got the massage that PayPal was awaiting approval from my Bank.  Strange I

thought, that's a first.  So I check my PP account and no purchase was showing, I then checked my mailer and as I opened up the payments appeared.

I returned to STEAM and proceeded with the download (It first informed me how long the D/L would take. 4 hours).  Now I am on a very fast

broadband, but I think the only answer is that STEAM is looking at a dial up D/L.  I pressed download and although slow, I was downloaded

in one and three quarter hours.  It was doveTail that had to be slow as I was showing 2.6Gbs per second.

I selected FSX-SE to be downloaded to my E:Drive and not into the C:Drive Games folder, but be aware that the drive has to be a clean drive

with no other applications on it, as the download will not accept the location.

A point of interest is that FSX-SE is a combined MSFS and acceleration so it does take quite a time to download.

PART 2

FSX-SE is now loaded and running and the first time I have fired it up, I am running in the raw. (No addons)

The first thing to appear is the new FSX-SE Splash Screen, then it opens up to the main panel, which opens to the Home page.

There is one added structure to the main screen and that is STORE, this takes you to your STEAM Store account.

I selected Free Flight and booked the Cessna 172 located in France at LFMK Carcassonne on a ramp.  Weather was real World

weather updated. Time of day was 0800 CET. Selected Fly now and was surprised at the speedy load into the cockpit. Outside

view was selected and I was amazed at the clarity of the view in front of me.  I had done nothing to any sliders in settings

so all were in the default position.  The computer I am using has an i5 CPU 4meg RAM and a AMD 6970 card installed.

So the first impression is impressed.

I closed the sim to return to the cfg file to add the compulsory True to WidwViewAspect.  I reopened FS and took my first flight

with the 172 and I found the sim very responsive and smooth.  I checked the FPS and was running at 120FPS with the setting

as it came (Unlimited).  So first impression is: 10 out of 10..

Part 3

Now for the third party improvements.  

First to go in was the RealAir Lancair Legacy and Duke v2 via the Live install from RealAir.  It found SE right away and installed.

Next was the Aerosoft Airbus A319, again straight in with no problems.  In fact I have installed the following so far with

no problems:

Scenerybox France v2

MegaSceneryEarth Spain.

MegaSceneryEarth Portugal.

(All I had to do was create a folder called MegaSceneryEarth in the add-on folder) then tell the installer where to go.

The latest Steve's DX10 fixer was installed.

I am using for controls:

Thrustmaster Hotus joystick.

Saitek TPM (Throttle, Prop and mixture)

Saitek instrument panels and multi panel (Autopilot).  The difference here is that each time you fire up SE, you have to OK the

Saitek panel equipment.

So; at the moment all is working with no problems reported and running very smooth with vivid graphics.

Part 4

Multiplayer.

Multiplayer can be used, but you have to be signed into STEAM for it to work.  As long as you can see the STEAM logo on your bottom task bar

then you know you are connected.  Flying in Multiplayer is not much different then FSX, but it seemed a bit smoother, but also very stable.

I may have gotten over the difficulty of setting up being the host computer for a session via Multiplayer and will keep you informed.

Conclusion:

It has taken me awhile to jump ship and purchase FSX-SE, but just 3 days into it and I am well pleased.  Learning the file structure is the

main thing with me at the moment as STEAM uses a slightly different approach.  But once you get the hang of it, then it becomes second nature,

like learning all things new.  So to sum up although I am still new to it, from what I see so far, I am glad I took the step to purchase.

As time progresses then more information can be passed onto you all..

James (jaydor)

Last edited by jaydor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:35 am

britfrog wrote:I know james will not welcome this news as he bought SE yesterday so what happens today????
    aerosoft are selling it for €5.04 thats less than £4
    must be a gift!!!
    if you havent got , get it!!

I seen it on facebook today, I guess they waited for me to purchase first then reduced it.. Sad
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:23 am

Both G-GMDH and myself purchased FSX SE last year when it was on offer. However, because G-GMDH pointed some things, I decided not to install and left it in my Steam account. Last night however, because everyone seems to be saying that the Steam version is better than the CD, I downloaded it onto my laptop. Kept the CD version on the main desktop.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I did notice that FSX SE was still at £19.99. So I can only assume that their facebook link take buyers to a special part of their website to download at the cheaper price.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for that appraisal James, I am sure it will give others confidence to "jump ship"
    having said that I still use the classic version70% of the time more out of habit than anything else, as I have not really encountered any problems with SE so far.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Folks,

Well I return from the test house with my humble findings just measuring the FPS in both the boxed FSX and FSX Steam versions.

For those interested in figures here goes...................

First STEAM VERSION

1. RW take off FPS = 37

2. Camera view F9 front FPS = 40, Left view = 42 and Right view = 39

3. Camera view F10 = 59

4. Camera view F11 = 24

Then onto the normal FSX, in my case it does has some minor tweaks

1. RW take off = 37/39

2. Camera view F9 front = 48, Left view = 56 and Right view = 54

3. Camera view F10 = 58/59

4. Camera view F11 = 40

In both tests the FSX FPS slider was set to 60.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:48 am

Mike, when i saw your figures i went and tested my stuff again, and found that when i was using photoscenery plus an airport (aoste) on both sims and the same cessna on both i was getting about 10fps better in se reagrdless of view, note this was sitting on the runway and using various outside views. fps ranged from mid 30's in fsx with the radios in the cessna turned on to about 80 with tower view
    I did note that there was little difference in fps if one selected full screen
    However i then used aerosoft paris orly as a reference as it is a more complex and heavy airport and there i found both sims produced identical figures when at a gate that is about mid to high 20's with perhaps se being 10% slower than fsx in some views

so i wondered how i managed to get such wildly high figures when filming snowdon so went back to aoste and took off, and noted fps, immediately i was getting around 20fps better in se and this went higher the higher i flew.

the other noticeable thing flicking back and forth between the 2 was how much better the colour was in se and the definition of potoscenery and the shading, which i suppose is only to be expected as they have updated the graphics to take on board more modern cards than the original version.

however it is interesting to note when using nvidia shadow play to record scenes fsx produced about 120 fps as did se however by changing se to full screen the fps doubled to 220fps and i still have the video should anyone like to see it with the fps in the corner.

so mixed results really for me
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Just tried out FSX SE with everything default (i.e. no added scenery or planes) and I really can't see any difference. Frame rate is the same as I get with the FSX box set.

This is a screenshot taken approaching Haverfordwest airport (frame rate top left)

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/DeA

Worth the 5 euros but no more to me.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:36 pm

In FSfiles, Copy the BBCode box and just paste it into your reply and it will show like this:

G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Oooops. Thanks jaydor. Still learning I'm afraid.
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:06 pm

The BBCode....

jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Brilliant, no excuse for no screenies in future..  he he  Very Happy Laughing lol!
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Looking at that awful FSX default scenery makes me thankful I spent two years making my own photo real scenery with FSET software, it was worth the slog!!

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Just been testing FSX SE version and found that ticking the Anti-aliasing button don't half kill FPS. I'm sure this also is the case in the old FSX.

Just flying the default ultralight over FSET scenery with the Anti-aliasing unticked I could get near to 100 FPS as soon as I ticked the Anti-aliasing box it dropped to 45, thats one hell of a hit on the system.

Cheers,
    PS Turning this OFF has the effect of NOT smoothing out edges so you end up with saw tooth lines. More tests need to be done with the Anti-aliasing switched on in the graphics card and not using FSX as the default.

Last edited by G-GMDH on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks Mike, I will try it..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 am