SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

SCENERY CREATION PART 2

G-GMDH

SCENERY CREATION PART 2

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Welcome back to part two of the tutorial and now the fun begins. Fire up FSET and press the "I" button to import the grid information of the scenery area to download that you saved in the first tutorial. Then use the SHIFT key and mouse pointer to change the grid to red and use the CTRL key and mouse pointer to select the 15 squares you need to download of the coastline.

Make certain you have the download resolution set at 1, the correct satellite service selected, Area Snap=OFF, CREATE MASKS=YES, COMP. SCENERY=NO, and USE CACHE=NO.

Now simply press the START button and go and make a pot of tea!

When completed you now have to edit using Irfanview the 15 satellite images and 15 mask images.

This is what the satellite image looks like before editing. You can use the brush and colour in the missing water in blue. In the example the GE water nearest the shore was not very colourful so use the zoom and smaller brush to get closer to the shoreline. You can also use the bucket feed.

After editing.

Now save this edited BMP in the original file name over-writing the old file.

Now complete the other 14 BMP images.

Now we move onto the mask BMP images for editing.

This is before editing.

After editing.

Now complete the other 14 BMP images.

When completed we now have to compile the files to make bgl's. Go into the FSET works folder and select all 15 of the "AreaFSXMaskInfo" files and drag them over the folder called "resampleFSXSP2" also contained in the works folder.

This is the compiling window.

This will take some time so perhaps a good opportunity to have a break from sitting in front of the computer and maybe more tea!

These coastline bgl's are added to the land bgl's you did previously and can be found in the fset, Addon Scenery, FSEarth Tiles, scenery folder.

This is what they look like.

That's it your done. You can save the bgl's in a scenery folder within a working folder called "Canada" and add it to the FSX library in the normal way.

You can see the scenery as I fly from CYTZ Toronto City Centre to CYKZ Buttonville Mun. As other forum members have correctly pointed out, the scenery is ONLY as good as the satellite images and in this example it gets 6 out of 10 compared to other scenery that I have made.

I'm planning a future tutorial showing how to make auto gen trees using Open Street Map data. Watch this space.

ddavid

Re: SCENERY CREATION PART 2

Post by ddavid on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks, Mike - some more pieces to fill in the jigsaw puzzle.

BTW, will you be thinking of autogen, now in Part 3?!?

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 am

Yes I'm working on automated auto gen trees extracting the data from Open Street Map contained in a Shape File. Working on the next tutorial as I type.......................cheers Mike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:30 am