SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

SCENERY CREATION PART 1

G-GMDH

SCENERY CREATION PART 1

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:53 pm

To help the new forum members I decided to put together the following tutorial on making photo real scenery. You will require the following software.....

FSET contact "Admin" and a download link will be emailed to you of my working software.

Irfanview can be downloaded from their web site http://www.irfanview.com/

So fire up FSET and look for the area that you want to make into scenery. For my example I'm using an area around Toronto in Canada some 3000 square nautical miles. The satellite images are very poor in both GE and Bing so I chose GE as it was the better of the two. The ZOOM selection is ONLY that and is useful for checking out the satellite images from both GE and Bing at close range to decide which service you will want to use, zoom 1 is equal to the default download resolution of 1M/PIX.

Select the DRAW and mark off with the grid the area that you intend to download.

Now using the SHIFT key on your keyboard and mouse pointer you can change the download grid all to red. Then using the CTRL key and mouse pointer you can select which of the boxes in the grid you wish to use for the land only. Any boxes covering water make sure are red. Downloading the water will be covered in Part 2.

Make certain the resolution is set to the default of 1, you have the correct satellite service, AREA SNAP switched OFF, COMPLETE SCENERY is YES and CREATE MASK is NO and CACHE is NO.

Press the "E" button to export the information to the FSET works folder, this is saved as "Partial FSEarth Tiles".

So you are now ready to download, simply press the START button. FSET will now download the satellite images and compile them into bgl files which can be found in FSET, Addon Scenery, FSEarth Tiles, scenery folder.

You can now go off and make a pot of tea as the scenery will be made automatically in your absence.

To check your completed land bgl files open up TMF Viewer located in the FSX SDK pack. If you are happy with the results you can now save these bgl files in a scenery folder within a working folder eg CANADA PHOTO SCENERY which you add to the FSX library in the normal way. A tip here is also keep a copy of the "Partial FSEarth Tiles" folder in the Canada Photo Scenery so you can recall the grid in the future.

Once you have done this you can delete all the files from the scenery folder in FSET and the works folder making sure you leave the "Partial FSEarth Tiles" file which you will need for the next part.

Making the water for the coastline and using the scenery will be covered in Part 2.

Last edited by G-GMDH on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
    ddavid

Re: SCENERY CREATION PART 1

Post by ddavid on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Good start, Mike - thanks. Now for Part 2...

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:30 am