SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

RT Communications The Easy Way

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Up until recently our multi-player communications have been relying on Skype, however there is an alternative. After searching high and low on the web I came across a very simple two way radio interface with virtually no hit on your internet connection with superb audio quality. James and I have been putting it through its paces and it certainly gets the thumbs up from me offering PTT high quality voice contact and the software is only 2.5 Mb (Skype is 79 Mb). It works on PC and most handheld devices. You can download the application from here http://www.zello.com/

Cheers Mike.
    ddavid

Re: RT Communications The Easy Way

Post by ddavid on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Looks good, Mike, thanks for the HU.

The 5-up Free Offer might be a lmiting factor, perhaps? But the 'push to talk' sounds useful.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Panic ye not Dai, you got me worried then until I read their terms and conditions, the limit of 5 refers to one person having 5 accounts on the same IP address and or device so as we only need one each we are perfectly OK.

Cheers Mike.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 pm

...---... Smile After testing again tonight, Mike and I can use FSX in full screen mode and select a key on the joystick using FSUIPC for PTT.  It allows a more realistic comms regime when flying as you get used to haveing to say "over" at the end of your transmission..  "Over"

A bonus to this type of comms is that we can each fly in a different scenery location as it does not need any FS protocol to use.  It is completely a separate from FSX addon.  Even a scenario of someone with a ATC set up can be on board and control our different skies.  "Over and out"..

I am still keeping my Skype though..

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:14 am

i have installed zello , but dont see any advantage over skype in fact quite the opposite as skype is a duplex system you can both talk at the same time while zello is simplex , like aircraft radios, however there is a pregnant pause between the end of a transmission before you can receive an answer, which is annoying
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Actually Skye is not duplex but simplex exactly like Zello and or similar VOIP systems. Assuming the pregnant pause you mention is in VOX mode you do have the option of changing the "hang time" at the end of transmission in the settings. Cheers Mike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 am