SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

xp reality

britfrog

xp reality

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:08 pm

in certain views the a/c in this video are almost indistinguishable from real ones

ddavid

Re: xp reality

Post by ddavid on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:41 pm

... almost indistinguishable from real ones

Does that improve realism, or is the latter not important?

Now, I'm no pilot and therefore must be guided by your views. Would you swap FSX for XP? Does the eye-candy (forgive me) compensate for a somewhat lack of scenery?

Speak to me, Nigel!!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:42 am

whilst I would be the first to say, the by and large rubbish scenery in XP and clouds and lack of ai a/c are for the moment a game breaker, there is no doubt that huge strides have been made in a/c design , there is more depth to the a/c, fsx ones seem flat in comparison. however the night lighting of cities and airports is just sublime. I have been on record saying that if p3d doesnt go 64 bit by xmas or early next year then XP will get ahead of them by easter, and i believe that. When their new interface is released later this year  and a few more a/c all they will need is REX or another weather guru onboard and a bit more photoscenery and there will be no looking back. I am very close to deciding whether to wait for the new interface or have a go now, as i wiped my p3d drive yesterday (along with the crap windows 10) so it would seem an ideal moment to load it up. However P3D is still intriguing, and it finally seems to beat FSX when it comes to FPS , the only other thing in P3D's favour is that those with fsx dont have to buy all the scenery again , well nearly all.
    What are your thoughts Dai? or are you happy playing devils advocate ? Smile
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:15 pm

O.K., Nigel, I confess to the devil's advocate slant. You know I love the mechanics of flight sim more, perhaps, than the 'flying' per se, however, I've been sorely pressed by my rotor-head pals to at least try XP for helicopters, which, they say, are truly superior to FSX/P3D. As ever, I use my cr*p PC as an excuse for not moving away from a rather unstable at best FSX installation. So, I think my first job when I get the new box will be to install FSX (maybe SE) and also the XP Trial. I'll then know whether to continue with a full XP install (GBP 50 plus?) and go the whole hog. Until then I'm afraid I'll be relying on you to inform me of progress...
    By the way, and this is serious, I won't be trying P3D. I baulk at purchasing the Educational licence not because of the cost, which is quite affordable, but because of Lockheed's presence in military hardware. Nuff said!
    Yours from the moral higher ground (Ha!) - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:51 pm

The main thing that has stopped me going to xp was the totally incomprehensible interface, however it may be me being a bit thick, but it took me a day to get half my joystick working as well as it did in fsx.

FSXSE is only a very small amount better than the gold version but it is noticeable that some work has been carried out to allow modern graphics cards to take advantage and work better, i get much better fps in SE than in gold with my new card.

I cant criticise your moral stance on LM, different strokes for different folks.
    but XP does intrigue me, the stock buildings were crap as was the whole shebang until they opened it up to third party devs, and the fruits of that are really only now becoming evident. it is still clear that devs prefer the fsx base because that is why the greater quantity of buyers are, but as each dev dips his toe into xp if they make a profit they do it again but better, and as the public sees the latest stuff more will buy into it. I will speak to a couple of my tame fsx devs and see what they intend to do or what are their perceived pitfalls
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi Folks,

All comments noted and I just watched this You Tube video for the second time around. I have tried X-Plane which just about brought my PC with its older GPU to the floor and the interface requires a load of time to set up assuming you have a degree in "something". Yes I watched your video too Nigel but it didn't do it for me I'm afraid. I think there is still life in FSX and I have decided to stick with the Steam version which seems "better" and deleted the old FSX from my PC. Would I pay 50 or 60 dollars for X-Plane, not on your Nelly mate! Cheers Mike.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 pm

I think you need to take onboard mike that vid was 2 years old and a lot has happened in that time especially with xp. but even the stock a/c flight dynamice were superior to fsx.
    hopefully I will get a chance to reload P3D on a new win 7 drive this w/e, to be able to fully compare that with our current setup of fsx, but i can see i will be sorely tempted to buy xp ver 11 when it comes out
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Nigel, if you buy XP-11, will it be as a 'fresh' purchase? Or an incremental charge on the basis that you already have XP-10? If the former, when is XP-11 due out?

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:56 am

This web site offers FREE photo real scenery with auto gen trees, buildings and land marks based on Open Street Map data for X-Plane which looks very good even at 500 feet. They also offer a free software package, W2XP, which you can use to make your own photo real scenery with auto gen. So no more downloading with FSET!!!!!

http://simheaven.com/
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Dai i only had the trial version of xp10 and it took me the whole trial period to get it to nearly work being a bit thick. So I will have to cough up when the new "improved interface" comes out

As I said Mike these are interesting times with XP as a whole package I still dont think it is as good as FSX, but the difference is they are making giant strides to improve it whilst LM and P3D are making minute strides to improve fsx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 am