SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

FSET scenery making question

donnybalonny

FSET scenery making question

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:06 am

Hi, Please take a look at the picture and tell me your comments.

I have tried drawing coast and Deepwater using google earth as pr FSET Userdocu chapter 7.
    The white parts say no image available when flying over it.

Also when chooseng Earth service, I´m not sure what to use. I have Bing and VE (high contrast in the image) and Google and google2013 (lower contrast in image)

jaydor

Re: FSET scenery making question

Post by jaydor on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:25 am

Looking good there..
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 am

I dont like those white squares in the water... And thats what I would like to get rid off.

The land textures are 2m/px. I´m trying to and there´s no need for higher definition for that purpose. But when I´ve found ot how to get rid of those white water squares, i will make some 1m scenery.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:34 am

There are various ways of getting rid of the squares, the official way , which requires that you use google earth and draw 2 lines demarking the the sea, which takes ages
    or my method which entails the use of paint shop pro, or photoshop which is much quicker but perhaps not quite as nice as the official way but it does it for me, being a lazy so and so.
    i will try to find some threads to give examples, also i will transfer another load tonight via wetarnsfer for you to download..
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:03 am

I have done it the "official" way by drawing the 2 lines in google earth before compiling the scenery as the manual suggest and as I wrote in the first post.
    But I cant see it has any effect. I will try again later. There´s no hurry. These projects are true "brainburners" if pushed to hard.

What i understand so far is that the line drawing gives the BGL image a transition from the satelite water to the FSX water.
    Also that the white squares, which are there simply because inside our square image compilation there are parts where there are no satelite image = white squares.
    Again, what i have understood is that those have to be "cut away" using an image editor like photoshop, paintshop or Gimp.

I will slowly study and see comes out of that. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi DB,

Regarding drawing the 2 lines around the coast, its not set up in the FSET ini files, so that's why it doesn't work.

However I have just been experimenting with GE that even with the resolution set to 1M/PIX if you keep close to the coastline and do not go too far out to sea the blue water satellite images are there to download.

This effect also works in Bing satellite images but you have to be closer to the coastline as they have excluded the water nearer the land mass.

You can test this in FSET by zooming in to number 1 and checking it before downloading the images.

Regarding GE and Bing its purely down to personal choice, I prefer Bing as the colours give more contrast.

At 1M/PIX resolution you can fly as low as 800 feet above ground and it looks OK.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Oh yes, indeed it helps. everything that pushes me in the right way helps.
    I have fiddled with the .Ini file, so I thought it should work.

But anyways, nothing beats succes and i got rid of the white squares. I found that I shouldnt compile, that I should paint the mask file in the work folder and recompilate with the ResampleFSXSP2.
    So here we go. I did, of course choose the hard way and did a very complex little Island with undefined coastline and shallow water. I have used Google, which is to pale and greenish. I will use Bing for the next project. Resolution is 2m/px, which isnt to bad and good enough for learning and for a small Island where I wont fly often.
    I will most probably have more questions in the future. Right now I will let my eyes get a rest and next time I open the PC, I will be flying a bit. In the end, thats what its all about.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi there,

Well you seem to have taken to it like a duck to water!!!!!

Well done, the 2M/PIX looks really good from the picture.

So good luck with the 1M/PIX.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am

Well, thanks
    I still have many many things to learn. I was born and grew up on on an Island in the Baltic sea. Lots of shallow water, so I like to see how the sand banks show up in photoscenery.

The Island in the pictures is in the northern most part of Denmark (EKLS) Its very low, with low houses traditionally with roofs thatched with seaweed. It has a lot of sandbanks that move around in shallow water, so its famous for being dangerous to sail around in bad weather.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 am