SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

How to make autogen trees for photo real scenery..........................

G-GMDH

How to make autogen trees for photo real scenery..........................

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:47 pm

I burnt a lot of mid-night oil and drank loads of tea looking at various web sites for help with this project. There seems to be a lot of new software available to do this job for you but alas after trying it all out with no success I just gave up.

Not to be beaten I started looking at older software and eventually discovered the FSX Annotator hidden in the SDK pack. I tried to open this within my FSX disc version but sadly it would not work, then I looked at the Steam version which removed it due to licencing restrictions from Microsoft.

I ended up downloading the latest version courtesy of Lockheed Martin from this site........ http://prepar3d-sdk.software.informer.com/3.1/

From the desk top short cut open the annotator software............

The 3 windows marked with the green cross you can close as we do not need them.

Now we have to go back into the Lockheed Martin SDK pack by clicking on File top left corner in the Autogen Configuration Editor window, then select Environmental SDK folder, then open Autogen SDK folder, then open AUtogen source xml and select AutogenDescriptions, this should open a new window called Vegetation Groupings.

Open the Groupings by clicking on the + and a long list will show all the various types of autogen available. I used Forest Broadleaf for the example.

You then press the Set Guid button on the smaller window and this displays your autogen selection of Forest Broadleaf. Pressing the Polygon Region (I) button gives you the ability to draw larger areas for the trees. If you want only single trees then use the Vegetation (V) button. The Pan (N) button is used with your mouse to move the scenery picture and the Zoom (Z) is for zoom in and out.

Now we are ready to look at the photo real scenery bgl file from your excising scenery library. Select File in the top left hand corner of the scenery viewer window.

You can remove the red grid by clicking on Aerial Imagery and deselecting the grid.

My example has the green polygons showing the autogen areas of trees. When you complete each polygon drawing you must press the right button on your PC mouse and select Add point and close.

To save your project simply select File in the top left hand corner of the viewer and select save.

An important point here is that the autogen agn files have to be saved in a new texture folder in the same scenery library. As an example if you have scenery called Wales, this normally would ONLY have a scenery folder within it containing the bgl files. For the autogen to work you must add a texture folder within Wales.

This is what it looks like from the cockpit.........

I do apologize in advance for this rather rushed tutorial but I need to get it down onto paper before I forget!!!!!!

If any thing is not clear and or you need help just ask.

Cheers, Mike.

PS. Further in-depth information about Autogen in FSX can be found here showing pictures of the various objects.

http://lhsimulations.com/LHSimulations/Autogen%20Annotator/Using_the_Autogen_Annotator.html#Vegetation

PPS. I have discovered that it is difficult finding the original bgl files hidden away in my scenery library. I found it best to make a new scan of the area with FSET and then use this bgl to populate the autogen. I now have a new folder in my scenery library called AUTOGEN 2016 containing the scenery and texture folders. You must be certain to put this AUTOGEN 2016 above all the other scenery folders in the FSX library as it will then take priority and show the trees above the photo real scenery.

Last edited by G-GMDH on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 am; edited 7 times in total
    ddavid

Re: How to make autogen trees for photo real scenery..........................

Post by ddavid on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 am

Excellent - thank you, Mike. That's a seriously good prompt to get to grips with planting some trees!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Mike even for the mentally challenged such as I, this does look almost do-able, any chance of a line by line explanation , or in my case a syllable by syllable description to avoid me making a lake where i wanted to create a forest?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks chaps for the positive feedback, the tutorial was more difficult putting down on paper than it is making the autogen in real life so panic ye not Nigel.

Let me know when you have downloaded the software and I can talk you through it on Skype perhaps?

Cheers, Mike.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:08 pm

ok I have 2 versions of annotator the fsx version 1006mb's made in 2007 and the p3d version of 1001 mb's made in 2015 which odds on is exactly the same
    what do i do next guv??
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Catch up on Skype Monday evening...................cheers, M
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Had a quick go with FSX Annotator - as per your instructions, Mike. Set up a clump of trees next to the Glenforsa airfield in Mull:

Installed into FSX and got this:

Yep - it works.

More tea!!

Cheers - Dai. Cool

P.S. I feel another tutorial coming on...
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:51 pm

well I ask you if an absolute beginner Like Dai can do it ------- Smile
    It means i have half a chance

Oh btw Dai did you install orbx trees?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

Well done Dai at least my amateurish tutorial made some sense. If you can make one of your very professional videos that would be great!! Cheers, Mike.

PS. What may be a little confusing looking back at my tutorial pictures is the scenery viewer is showing the opened bgl file from FSET, I only did a new tile of this area just in case I mucked up my main scenery. In reality you would open any bgl file from your excising photo real scenery library.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm