SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

How to make Water Masks for FS Earth Tiles (FSET) photo scenery - video tutorial.

ddavid

How to make Water Masks for FS Earth Tiles (FSET) photo scenery - video tutorial.

Post by ddavid on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:48 pm

If you've used FS Earth Tiles (FSET) for producing photo scenery, you may be interested in how to make Water Masks. This short video tutorial takes you through the various steps to enable you to add water effects - shorelines and inland lakes - to your photo scenery:

How to make Water Masks in FS Earth Tiles photo scenery. from Dai on Vimeo.

Please post any queries...

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Last edited by ddavid on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
    G-GMDH

Re: How to make Water Masks for FS Earth Tiles (FSET) photo scenery - video tutorial.

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:27 pm

I have watched your VERY professional video Dai and thanks a million for posting it as having "played" around with FSET for many years it proves there is ALWAYS some thing new to learn. I have never used the colour RED but instead use BLACK so that was an interesting point.

Also a question for you, can you just add the RED colour to the mask file which is in pink, I know its never too clear finding the coastline but it would just save one of the steps? (In the past I just black out the pink to incorporate the water).

Also I would like to give credit to Doctor G. MAURIZIO the "inventor" of the FSET here in Italy and HB-100 and MJS for their hard work in updating and improving the software in 2012.

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Re: How to make Water Masks for FS Earth Tiles (FSET) photo scenery - video tutorial.

Post by britfrog on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Dai,

WOW! WOW!
    'Kin brilliant!! extremely professional ! cant fault it, this is a definitive "how to" video
    I suppose now, I have no excuse, I will have to learn how to do it from the Master Smile
    I must try to learn how to make this thread a sticky in our forum, being a thicky, any idea?
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks, both - appreciated!

Nigel: see - http://help.forumotion.com/t139602-pin-topics

Any use?

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:20 pm

G-GMDH wrote:
    Also a question for you, can you just add the RED colour to the mask file which is in pink, I know its never too clear finding the coastline but it would just save one of the steps? (In the past I just black out the pink to incorporate the water).

Also I would like to give credit to Doctor G. MAURIZIO the "inventor" of the FSET here in Italy and HB-100 and MJS for their hard work in updating and improving the software in 2012.

Cheers, M

I've looked at the pink bits on the AreaMask image but can't think of a way of using it to define the shoreline, sorry.

Dr Maurizio is an ace - didn't he do Elba recently? I'll look it up...

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Its ALL very interesting stuff Dai, I just experimented using RED over the pink mask image and it doesn't work on the same layer so your technique using a second layer does. However if you use a darker colour to mask the pink water area ie DARK GREEN, as I found tonight you don't need to use BLACK, it works a treat. So I'm wondering IF the second layer is able to hide the cartoon scenery that can show its ugly head poking out from the odd coastline here and there, North Wales is a really bad area for this near Anglesey. That's why when I did the whole of the UK I gave up on the idea of the water mask and just coloured it in to the default water in FSX with the "water effects" slider switched OFF. Cheers, Mike.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks a million for making this tutorial and thanks to Admin for pinning it.
    Also thank you for speaking in a way that is understandable. Lots of videomakers could learn from that.

At this very moment I´m not making photoscenery and I have no plans to do so in the near future. Mainly because its very time consuming and also because the areas where I wanted to make scenery had to poor quality satelite images and then I dont find it to be worth it.

But now that snow and frost is here and the days are short, maybe I will soon be sitting in front of the PC looking for interesting areas to use for some photo scenery. It sure has a nice feeling flying over a beautifull scenery that you´ve made yourself.

So again, thanks for the inspiring tutorial Very Happy
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks for your kind comments, Anders - getting a plaudit makes the effort worthwhile!

Blending water masks with photoscenery and avoiding mesh incompatibilties is more demanding, as Mike and I are currently finding out. There's lots to this scenery stuff, eh?!?

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 am