SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

experimanting with and comparing fsx with p3d frame rates etc

britfrog

experimanting with and comparing fsx with p3d frame rates etc

Post by britfrog on Wed May 25, 2016 9:13 am

Well I have been experimenting more with fsx to establish what effect having multiple levels of the same scenery (at different definitions) has on frame rates

Last night i once again was checking fps in fsx going north south and back along the coast here, and was getting 50 fps with all the sliders maxed out and using antialiasing at max etc it doesnt seem to make hardly any difference on fps if i have 1 level or 3 levels of scenery one below the other, well maybe 3 0r 4 fps that is all
    Initially i had the fps set at unlimited and was getting generally about 50fps , i thought that the -2 scenery took a little longer to produce a sharp image which would be understandable but having swopped around and back to the 0 and then the -2 i am not convinced, this was running france vfr langudoc R underneath my own images, 1 level at 0 the other at -2
    as some of the scenery was only getting sharp as it passed under the nose i thought i would try to reign in the fps to 30 thus giving the graphics card more time to produce a sharp image but that didnt work, all it did was introduce many more micro stutters which i dont get when it is set unlimited, so have now gone back to unlimited. Later on I will try again to try and get a definitive difference but up to now the jury is out

however i then tried the same thing in p3d and that was interesting.
    firstly i had it set at 30fps and that is what it produced so i set it to unlimited and it mostly stayed around 34 but occasionally went up to 40 fps , what was noticeable was the colour differences, .
    with the recent scan at -2 that i did, if you ran that over the 0 scan the scenery was noticeably darker (different time of year) however when i did the same in p3d you could not see any difference the new strip was the same coluors as the 0! i really had to look for the join! Also the colours were brighter than fsx. having flown north south and the reverse a few times i noticed the cloud shadows moving across the ground in front of you, most realistic!
    However when i checked where the scenery finally came into sharp focus it was virtually the same as fsx, nearly under the nose, . I had noticed for a long time if you fly and look back to the plane the scenery that you have flown over is always sharper than the scenery coming towards you but have never managed to resolve the issue. So I spent a bit more time "playing" with p3d trying to set it up better and did get a very nice balance. I have to say whilst scenery in the distance doesnt sharpen up as quickly as fsx , when it does one does get the odd WOW ! moment, this is probably down to the work they have done in the shading dept.
    the difference is how p3d creates images in p3d it sort of shimmers into focus but remains out of focus per se until much closer to the a/c compared to fsx where the scenery sort of pops into focus, however it is that last pop into full sharp focus as one virtually passes over the scene that seems to be quite similar in distance from the a/c in both sims

I am coming to the conclusion that my graphics card needs more memory or needs to be a bit faster however that will have to wait for now.
    G-GMDH

Re: experimanting with and comparing fsx with p3d frame rates etc

Post by G-GMDH on Wed May 25, 2016 9:11 pm

All very interesting stuff and you are not alone with your experiments.

With my "dinosaur" PC and Nvidia G-Force 210 graphics card I have used Nvidia Inspector to control the Anti-Aliasing as the FSX internal filtering KILLS FPS, well it does on my machine anyway. The FSX FPS slider is a very interesting one and I have tested it at 30, 50, 60, 100 and unlimited the best results seem to be with the slider set at 100. With it at 100 and flying over photo real scenery at about 2000 feet, all FSX sliders flat out, I can achieve 30+ FPS in the VC view (F9) and 60 in the 2D cockpit view (F10). I have also found that if you then move the FPS slider to match the FPS so for example set it at 60 it actually lowers the 60 FPS I was originally getting in the 2D cockpit view to around 50 FPS.........................................

The experiments and testing continue...............................M

PS. I have removed a lot of the camera views and the ONLY ones left in the CAMERA cfg folder are 001, 002, 004 and 006.

PPS However we could go back to FS2004? Watch this video...................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY4lAkWTINo Is he wearing lipstick?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri May 27, 2016 12:31 pm

I have also noticed it greatly depends on the aircraft, not necessarily complex ones, simple AC can hit the FPS hard. So after further experiments I now leave the FSX FPS slider set at 30 and this gives very smooth performance on the AC that I'm interested in flying.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 am