SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Project help for newbie, please!

ddavid

Project help for newbie, please!

Post by ddavid on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:35 pm

I've been amazed at the results you guys have come up with for DIY photo scenery and would like to give it a go myself. But, where to start?
    O.K., I've got a project area in mind - the Isle of Mull, NW Scotland. We're planning a trip there later in the spring, so it would be good to have this project in mind when we're there.
    I know I need the following:
    1. Aerial photo imagery and
    2. Mesh.
    I also know that I'm going to need something like XBuilder and other software - I've gone through a number of YouTube tutorials to get a feel for what goes on, but not done anything more than that.
    So, where can I get some preliminary guidance to set me off? Is it as simple as you guys make it appear? I certainly hope so! But, I guess it's going to be a bit more involved, so, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Many thanks - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Re: Project help for newbie, please!

Post by britfrog on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi mate, in fact we mostly use fset not xbuilder, i used to use that but everyone advised fset if you like i will send you an up and running setup however you will need to have the m.s.  fsim sdk installed before you start , what version of fsx have you got the deluxe ?
    you will need to install the sdk from the disk then over write it with the sp1 and sp2
    after that you create a new directory c:\ fset and you install the files i will send you there

However if you dont have the sdk you can go onto the lockheed martin p3d site and download their sdk free

Last edited by britfrog on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks, Nigel.
    I've Acceleration installed and SDK as well (for OPT).
    Will look up FSet - will you transfer by email or Box or what?
    Merci encore, mon ami!
    Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:18 pm

have you installed sp1 and sp2 for the sdk?? if not they are avaialble on the net the sp's are necessary
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm

check your email
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 am

Hi Dai,

Welcome to the world of making scenery. The most important piece of equipment needed is a very good kettle as you will burn loads and loads of mid-night oil once started on this fascinating subject.

I would suggest as Nigel has to avoid at all costs using XBuilder as its really for doing small areas of scenery and is not user friendly. The FSET that I have used for over 2 years works extremely well and is easy to operate.

I just had a flight this morning from Oban out to the Isle of Mull to capture some pictures for you. This scenery which forms part of my UK scenery was made courtesy of Virtual Earth having said that I did have a look at the Google Earth images and they seem very good of the island and in my opinion are sharper colours than the ones I used.

ddavid

Post by ddavid on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks for the email info, Nigel - I'll set up as per your recommendation.

And Thanks, Mike, for the excellent Mull shots - they're just what I want, so I know what to aim for.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Your in safe hands Dai and you will get the scenery you are looking for using FSET.

If I can help in any way just ask.

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Mike I scanned a bit of mull last night around the airport and came up with the same conclusion google is better see these pics

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:32 pm

That's the difference I can see too, the VE look more Autumnal and like you I prefer the GE images. Dai should make easy work of the island as its only 16 squares so he will be able to do that whilst having breakfast and flying over it before lunch!!!!

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 pm

isnt it a pity you cant zoom in on these photos as you can in fset?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 pm

well having done a bit of research and spending an hour or so with Dai Last night we have managed to scan the top 1/4 of mull at 0 definition, however to be fair the images are pretty poor with colour differences in both land and sea, so we shall be trying to make a silk scarf out of a pigs ear. Hopefully another lesson on skype tonight and we shall then be able to see what the first bit looks like on fsx.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 am

Don't bother with higher resolutions in Scotland as the satellite images are not perfect, I did ALL of the UK in the default +1.

Your making work for yourselves at any other resolution and by the way get Dai to change the compression to 80% to save space on his HD.

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for that thought mike at the moment we are only doing basics which i shall continue here and you can add your comments from the peanut gallery

Dai, firstly remember the terrible water colour they had hand painted?  and we wanted to cover it and the grey "no image panels? well this is the result, the blue is not a 100% exact colour match to the fsx one but it is close however we have retained the real sea colour close to the shore

Mike will in due course show you how to colour to the beach/shore
    as you will recall this was how we did it

then we were faced with what to do between mull and the mainland paint it blue or a similar colour to the photo sea?

and you remember that island that i created in 30 seconds? well here it is, complete with waves on the shore

here is a settlerment which looks ok except for the rubbish colours in the original image

inland the images look ok too

Now i particularly like real sea beds here is an example that would disappear if done "properly"

and you remember how I recreated it further out  in about 10 seconds? and then created a sqiggle of the sea
    however the squiggle of sea has real waves as does the blotch above it

there is nothing that you can do with this image unless you want to have a go in photoshop before compiling it

As you can see , what you do with the sea is a very personal thing some ways can be very time consuming others less so
    so lets see why yours didnt work correctly
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:58 am

Hi Nigel and Dai,

The GE satellite images are not good for Scotland so I would suggest using Bing as I did for my UK project.

Cheers, M
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Re-ran FSET with Bing at Glenforsa airstrip (by hotel). Here's the result:

FSX default Glenforsa (ULL) still visible - need to remove it - exclusion?

By the way, thanks for all your help and well wishes!!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 am

Well done Dai looks good. Unfortunately FSX has loads of RW position errors so you will have to use Airport Editor 165 to re position the FSX RW over the correct one in the satellite image. As I said in my first post to you, a very good kettle is a must on entering into this world of home made scenery.

The other option that comes to mind is Scotflight did about 20+ airfields of the Shetlands including ULL which are reasonable, again some of his RW are not quite lined up.

I could We Transfer this to you if you can let me have your email address by PM.

Cheers, Mike.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks, Mike - I'm only doing Mull at the mo' as we're heading there next month. but I'll certainly let you know if I go any further - I'm sure the SF stuff would be useful.
    Mind you, I wouldn't be where I am with FSET without Nigel's help and encouragement - setting up the folders and telling me which keys to click, etc! Thanks, Nigel - appreciated.
    Not sure about the kettle - things are hectic here, right now - I'll be happy to get the rest of Mull bit by bit. And then, of course, there's the sea masks etc - aargh!!
    Cheers - Dai. Cool
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Added a mask for the water and got this:

Took a while to do, mind - maybe you're right about the kettle, Mike!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:42 am

Dai you have achieved remarkable results with FSET in a very short time to include the correct water mask, well done you. Cheers Mike

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

i just hate flash gits , you give a bit of basic info and help and the next thing you know they are producing better stuff than you can, I think he was just holding back to see how little i knew
    SHOW OFF Smile Smile

Dai that pic looks awful !!

Mutter mutter Rolling Eyes
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks, Mike - pure luck, mate!

As for your comments, Nigel - well...

By the way, the landing was terrible - the gear wasn't down! Nice hotel, mind!

O.K. - confession time: I read this tutorial on FSET "TUTORIAL FOR THE PHOTOREAL SCENERY CREATION.doc" which you can download from here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5-fjuj5vMAhWJK8AKHZ2lAHAQFghbMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfile7.uf.tistory.com%2Fattach%2F183178384F1F957D0C6A94&usg=AFQjCNFR3TmTWMK7IEW1eDmMRx0SDx72zg&sig2=cckeUFmCCU30UJowKt6_Dg

(If the link doesn't work, search Googel for "fset photo cenery tutorial" and it should come up halfway down the page-ish.)

The tutorial has an interesting section on how to use the mask that FSET provides, if you request it.

Lastly, many apologies for appearing to show off - you know that's not my style, but I was so amazed that the mask process worked, I just had to let you see the result.

Thanks again - couldn't have done it without your help.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 am

Here's a progress update:

Still a bit to go...

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri May 13, 2016 4:16 pm

looking good have a good holiday

agsalinas

Post by agsalinas on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello, were can i find the FSET to donload?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:48 pm