SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Blending the FSX sea and homemade sea

G-MSJC

Blending the FSX sea and homemade sea

Post by G-MSJC on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:48 am

This off Aberporth. I used the microlight as it doesn't fly so fast and I could observe the scenery as I flew past. I have tried to match my homemade sea with FSX default sea and tried to blend it in so that there does not appear to be any join. There is a different colour near the cliffs but this is the shadow.

Please give me some feedback?

G-GMDH

Re: Blending the FSX sea and homemade sea

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:36 pm

That's a fantastic job and I know you have been burning the midnight oil to achieve what looks a very good effect.

I can just make out the change of colour but that's just me being fussy!!!!!

I attach two pictures indicating what I perceive as the change of colour.

I'm still working on my more basic version using a single colour to blend and have completed about 50% of the UK coastline so far.

I wonder if we will ever get to flying?

Cheers, M
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Yes, there will be a joint because I am attaching a "fixed" scenery tile to FSX's continuous sea but I am pleased with the finish after all this time just doing the Welsh coast. You will notice on some cliffs, the sea laps onto the side of the cliff. This is because of the same problem you had Mike. However, because on my scenery, it is a wave crest, it actually looks as if the waves are crashing against the sides of the cliffs.

Before completing, I was fearful that all this time and work would not be successful. You never know how it's going to turnout until you fly over it, in FSX.

The one thing that is a disappointment is the Severn Bridge. The FSX Severn Bridge does not reach the Bristol side and finishes in the estuary just short of the land. Whilst the Bing road bridge starts under the FSX bridge on the Welsh side and swings north on the Bristol side.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:16 pm

The water in general looks very "dead". Is all effects turned off?

I´m from an Island, I´ve sailed a lot and reflections in water is something that I kind of need in order to make my brain accept that what I see in the sim is actually water
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Yes, in these images the effects were turned off. This was so that the sea could be seen rather than the effects on the sea. I found it very hard to get the colour blend of the sea around the coast to fit with the FSX default sea colour. Mike has used a single blue, I used three colours (2 blue and 1 green) to try and get as close to the default colour as possible. The 3 colour sea is actually an image, with the FSET Bing land then placed on top of the sea image. However, getting the cut of the land correct has taken many many hours of hard work.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:10 am

Ok, thanks for explaining.
    I know how difficult it is to get coastlines. I did 4000+ km for Denmark, and I´m far from happy with the result. Smile
    G-MSJC

Post by G-MSJC on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:04 am

Yes, the land (as long as Bing or Google have good resolution) isn't too bad but the coastline can be a "B****". My mission has been to try and get the land fairly accurate. Then get the sea/coastline somehow acceptable. BUT the FSX land just isn't accurate or correct. Large chunks of FSX "toy" land jut out into the sea where there shouldn't be any land, at all. I have also notice (especially in Finland) FSX have even placed bridges in the wrong places. You get bridges poking out, in the dense forest. The only way then is to either paint over it (as Mike has done with his blue in coastal areas) or cut and layer images, as I have done which takes absolutely ages to do. Either way, it's not perfect.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi Stephen and DB,

I have just completed ALL of the UK, what a task and not for the faint hearted using a single colour to match as near as I can to the "default colour" in FSX with the Water Effects switched OFF.

Some Examples

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:45 pm

PEMBROKESHIRE COAST THIS TIME............................

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am

Thats very well done Mike.
    I have a problem with my brain. It wont accept fsx with water effects off as being water. I totally loose the immersion in the game. Specially after using P3Dv 3.1, where the water is a totally different story even at low level.
    So now I only make continental FSET Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:05 am