SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

FPS Issues near major airports

britfrog

FPS Issues near major airports

Post by britfrog on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

I stumbled across something today that we can all profit from especially those that use major airport addons.
    I was messing around and installed a certain polish companies Miami city and airport add on, now i have already scanned in fset Miami at -2 so noticed that the polish companies definition was nowhere near as good as mine (understandably) so whilst i was changing layers i discovered that I could retain their great buildings and hotels simply by putting them the layer under my scenery ---Job done!!
    however whilst flying into and out of miami  airport using the latin vfr airport I was coming down to low teens on fps on finals.
    After a bit of head scratching I realised that there was the stock fsx version of miami airport running somewhere and also the polish companies airport , so i initially went to the fsx NAME file in scenery and renamed all the miami airport files by changing the ending name so they stopped working likewise the polish co's miami airport files leaving just the latin vfr files working-----
    result?
    on short finals am now getting the 30fps that i have the sim limited to.

so if you have installed a major airport simply delete all the stock fsx files that pertain to that airport failing to do so will make fsx create the 2  or 3 sirports  which you dont see as they are on a lower level, not seen but still taking up memory and graphics power
    G-GMDH

Re: FPS Issues near major airports

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:48 pm

How do you find and delete the default airports in FSX Steam?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:19 pm

for miami i went into sceneru\NAME and changed the endings of all the miami .dds files to d-s and similarly changed the miami.bgl to b-l
    for paris go to scenery\EURW and do the same

Mike, your original idea of deleting all the stock areas to increase memory was not a bad idea however in many cases when i came into the sim my plane started from 50 feet up and then crashed, so that was not good, then i remembered that scenery more than 70 miles or so doesnt enter the memory to get used so deleting north america when we only used europe made no difference on the running of fsx it just allowed it to load quicker.

however when you have a non standard airport in fsx this will sit on a level above the stock airport however the stock airport on the level below is still being created, just not seen because the moment you disable the the non stock airport the original is there to be seen

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:05 pm

britfrog wrote:for miami i went into sceneru\NAME  and changed the endings of all the miami .dds files to d-s and similarly changed the miami.bgl to b-l
    for paris go to scenery\EURW and do the same

Mike, your original idea of deleting all the stock areas to increase memory was not a bad idea however in many cases when i came into the sim my plane started from 50 feet up and then crashed, so that was not good,  then i remembered that scenery more than 70 miles or so doesnt enter the memory to get used so deleting north america when we only used europe made no difference on the running of fsx it just allowed it to load quicker.

however when you have a non standard airport in fsx this will sit on a level above the stock airport however the stock airport on the level below is still being created, just not seen because the moment you disable the the non stock airport the original is there to be seen

These are the ONLY scenery areas I have "ticked" in FSX Steam and it works perfectly OK with the FSET home made scenery.

Cheers, M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 am