SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

interesting times ahead

Admin
    Admin

interesting times ahead

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:57 pm

well with todays news that dtg is going to release a new sim by years end, it has thrown all the chips out of the alley. As a 64bit sim , even if it is still based on fsx,all our existing software will not work on it, so do we harden our heart and buy all our existing stuff in 64 bit , do we stay with fsx/p3d, or do we migrate to X-Plane?, after all they have been 64 bit for a while now , and more and more devs are making stuff for their platform. Personally I think p3d is dead in the water, as a 32 bit prog it has made precious little improvement, if any, over its fsx heritage which is 10 years old, dtg managed to bring the steam edition up to nearly the same level in a couple of weeks.
    When you look at the graphics on the new games available they are years ahead of what we get in fsx/p3d which is hardly surprising. So will x-plane finally come of age?
    I think XP is still about 2 years behind fsx/p3d certainly when it comes to scenery, however one does get glimpses of what it could be, and those glimpses make you go WOW they are what fsx/p3d should be if only it had been developed continually. So where will we be this time next year????
    donnybalonny

Re: interesting times ahead

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:55 am

There´s also the chance that there will be so many flightsimulators supported at one time that it will be chaos.
    DTG will continue to support FSX-SE. P3D will go 64 bit soon. A flightsims from DTG in 64 bit. X-plane. + a flightschool from DTG. And there will be a huge pack demanding support for FSX box.

Thats to many for the devellopers. You can already see the problems now.
    There´s also a chance that we´ll need new computers. My flightsim PC is 2 years old now and running perfect, but will I have to spend 800+ € to get a new GAME working + all the addons.
    Will it be possible to produce freeware on the new platforms. ETC ETC. There are many doubts and we can only see what happens.
    If the new 64 bit sims go to commercial, I wont change. Making my scenery, tweaking airfiles etc. is part of the fun for me. So if it goes to commercial, I hope for a strong following for FSX/FSX-SE will continue.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I must agree with most of what you say DB, whilst it would make sense that p3d go 64bit, there has been no official word from them on this, just devs second guessing. I can also foresee that LM may be forced to sell to pro's only if dtg makes a new sim, inline with their contracts. If this happens I can see P3D being priced above what the average simmer can afford.
    But as you mention the major thing is what performance will our p.c's need to be? Happily p.c's have not greatly increased in performance in recent years, but graphic cards have that is for sure, and because graphic cards are so expensive (virtually the cost of a p.c. a few years ago, they are selling less, and because they sell less the price goes up, it is a vicious circle. Without any doubt most of us will have to invest in at least a new graphics card IMHO
    as the title said, interesting times ahead!!
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Yeah, + maybe 1000+ euros on new payware just to get started. affraid

As usual, I will choose the armchair approach and take it easy. Let others tell me what is going on.
    I personally see the flightsim world mirror the rest of the world more and more. Which means poor quality consumerism and loooooots of bla - bla. How often have you seen a new aircraft addon full of bugs and flying like a brick being releases and the usual suspects fill the forums with OMG fantastic, excellent because all they do is to fly it 10 hours, make 10 screenshots and buy another OMG, fantastaic etc.

At this moment, IMHO, if you dont use photoscenery, P3Dv3.1 is clearly the best flightsim available. IMHO It looks better and runs smoother.
    With photoscenery, I get more or less the same performance as with Steam-fsx, maybe P3D blurrs a bit more, but I´m not sure I can see a difference , My P3D loads a lot faster and is more stable and I have a feeling the performance is better as well, but I dont count frames/sec. It doesnt interest me.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:07 pm

you say P3d is more stable , have you had any crashes in steam? as for smoother surely fps is what gives you smoothness no? and steam runs at 5 times the speed of p3d if you dont limit it, so surely steam has to be smoother?
    as far as I can see p3d wins on 2 fronts colour and shading, and VAS usage, steam wins on all the others. as for loading quicker , i suggest you install some heavy scenery in both my p3d takes the same time nearly as steam.

However i totally agree with you about consumerism, i have found in recent years the adverts for holywood films by and large were better than the films, having said that i dont think you can fault PMDG products if you fly heavy metal, their 737 is sublime.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:02 am

This with 5 times faster speed in Steam is your story. I havent lived it myself . Absolutely not. Not even with the same addons installed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm