SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

fsx steam vs P3Dv3.1

Admin
    Admin

fsx steam vs P3Dv3.1

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:30 pm

I have been playing with p3d 3.1 , i use the term "playing" because I still dont think it is as good as FSX, Granted they have made some headway with shading and cloud shadows, and they have finally addressed the high VAS usage which has plagued P3D from day 1, but it is still not good enough for me to hang up on fsx steam--- Yet!

However I am impressed with the reduction in VAS! if I set up the 2 sims at my default airport with the same a/c and scenery P3D now uses 20% less VAs and in some circumstances a lot more, thats the good news,
    However when using photoscenery not toon town stuff as supplied as default, fsx portrays sharper imagery, p3d appears slightly blurry in comparison. P3d draws its scenery as if it was fsx with an LOD of less than 4.5 even when the .cfg is set at 8.5, so as we have all experienced in the past you can see the scenery well behind the a/c but it only gets sharp as it disappears under the nose.
    yes fsx can occasionally "pop" the scenery albeit rarely, while P3D goes from blurry to sharp more slowly, so the jury is out whether p3d make some dramatic improvements for the next version, later this year or will dovetail steal the show with their new sim, also due later this year? my bet is on the 64 bit dovetail sim.

but in the meantime I am loading up more and more P3D to see what it can stand before going belly up
    donnybalonny

Re: fsx steam vs P3Dv3.1

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:17 pm

try setting the LOD of FSX steam to 6.5 and do the same in P3Dv3.1.

Then after that see how you compare the 2 siblings

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 pm

this test was done with 4096 colours on both and a LOD of 8.5 not 6.5 i did try 6.5 and fsx was far better than P3D . P3D only gets "really useable" at 8.5

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 pm