SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Island of Anglesey North Wales with Water Mask in FSX Steam

G-GMDH

Island of Anglesey North Wales with Water Mask in FSX Steam

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes I have weakened and started the very long process of up grading my FSET home made scenery with a proper water mask. Here is my starting point in North Wales and only the rest of the UK to go not forgetting all of Ireland.

Admin
    Admin

Re: Island of Anglesey North Wales with Water Mask in FSX Steam

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:34 am

well that is one way of hunkering down and waiting for winter to pass by Smile
    Hats off to you!
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:39 am

Mike, you are a brave man.
    Its a very big project, but I understand. Once you have made photoscenery with a watermask, its like everything else is not ok.
    That said, I believe that in order to make it really good, one has to understand the use of waterpolys. But since I dont understand, I´m not going to explain anything.

I would have loved to join in and do some Ireland photoscenery. But I see it as extremely timeconsuming and highly questionable.
    Its easyest to make watermask using Google tiles because you draw on google earth, so what you draw will directly fit what you download. BUT!! Google tiles are crap in many areas and Ireland is one of them.

Alternative is Bing tiles. But there are 2 serious problems.
    *You draw on on Google earth and download Bing and its not always exactly the same image.
    Some overlapping is to be expected. And if you want a good result a lot of coastlines have to be redrawn.
    *Bing coast lines are VERY poor. The white squares where there are no pictures are so agressively close to the coast line that they even cut off the coast in some places making it impossible to do a good result.

Its a petty. Because when something is as time consuming as making FSET with a decent water transition, then at least one would like the images which is the most important part of it all to be worth working with.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:55 am

Well not so brave DB. What does not help is when FSX idea of North Wales is not accurate as can be seen from this image.................Because of all the FSX mistakes with drawing their idea of the UK this has now become one hell of an upward struggle. Time to reconsider just using the scenery that I have already made over 12 months of my time in front of a computer.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

I cant see how you can blame this on fsx it was clearly low tide!!! after all Mike I know how much you love the fsx "cartoon scenery"

or maybe it was just before the tsunami struck Smile

I admire your intentions matey but life IS too short
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

Yes, Mike. Thats more or less what I meant. It can be fixed though. Its just a matter of dedication. Shocked
    Making photoscenery with a good watermask is very much uphill.
    And making big scale projects... No, not for me. Its not enough to know what we know here. There´s a lot more to be done and as I wrote in my first post here, the problems with the tiles we can do nothing about.
    FSET is in the back of my drawer right now. I have started enjoying bush-flying in ORBX NZ once again.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm

OK, this then fires the next question, can you "switch off" the default FSX cartoon scenery?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:26 pm

try switching off western europe in the scenery manager, i have removed oceania , africa, and america as i dont go there , to save memory
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Since I´m not an expert dont take me to serious, but i think the right thing is to make a new landclass.
    Remember the Italy photoscenery? It has a landclass file that must be installed.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks for getting back, I don't have a "land class" file for my Italy scenery.

I have switched everything that I can switch off in the FSX library list. The only ones it wont let me switch off is "0005 BASE", default scenery and default textures. I have a photograph of my library list but unable to upload it as Photo Bucket is "Off Air" at the moment.

PS. With all this lot "switched off" its turned my water brown. Please be assured that I am taking tablets for this.

This is what one "expert" says about the library in FSX.................

"Each of the basic level scenery file folders holds different part of the world.

You must have:
    Scenery\World
    Scenery\Base
    Scenery\Global
    Scenery\Props

You also need the
    Scenery\ region of the world you fly in.

and the Grids in which you are flying and those which may be up to 150 nm from your aircraft anytime during your flight.

Making the base grids not active outside your flying location will allow FSX to load slightly faster at startup - maybe 20-30 seconds at most. About the same as having two or three flyable aircraft you are not going to fly this session.

Once you are at the Create a flight screen having those grids active has no impact on FS operation, FPS or speed of loading a flight.

FS does not load those scenery areas, it only makes sure it knows where files related to different parts of the world reside on your hard drive(s).

You may see some adverse impact upon some scenery in your local area if far off scenery areas are not active. Sometimes objects in one part of the world are referenced to models located in other parts of the world. This is more true with addon AFCAD type files and addon freeware scenery than the default scenery or payware addons".
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:44 pm

Mike, the Italy coast correction file can be found here: (scroll down slightly below the middle. Above autogen)
    http://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/download.html
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Many thanks DB for the link. Ah, I see now, its the coast line correction for Italy. The part of Italy I have downloaded around this area out to the West and East coast lines seem 100% OK.

THANKS, M
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:47 am

Every area switched off in the FSX Steam library..................

FSX No water...................

Area graph that controls the scenery in FSX Steam......................

So from the graph I found to cover the UK and Italy I only need areas 0501. 0601 and 0602...................

Tick these in FSX.................

FSX Water again.................

If you only select the scenery areas you need in FSX it speeds up the load up time.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Poor spaniards. We are always been left out by the Jet-set. Sad
    Generalisimo Franco was the only dictator being accepted right after WW2. But of course, he was in 0502 and who cares about that square.

Did it solve any of your compitability issues?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 am