SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Concerns over FSXSE? Why?

Admin
    Admin

Concerns over FSXSE? Why?

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 am

isnt it interesting how many of us use SE but have reservations over its use? we tentatively use it, but expect it to go boom at any moment.
    I have to admit that I am one as well, always looking at it with a jaundiced eye, expecting the worst but never experiencing it. I like many, have voiced concerns over being connected to steam, but up till now have seen no down side to it. And after all you can disconnect once SE is running if you want.
    I still consider SE as being on probation despite having used it for many months, and for that reason i still have more than one boxed example of FSX in the background , just in case it all turns to a ball of chalk then at least I can still enjoy our hobby.
    However is there really the need for all this paranoia? After all SE is just a slightly bug fixed, graphicly updated box version of FSX which is now 9 years old, Under normal circumstances any program that is 9 years old has long been forgotten , who remembers Lotus Smartsuite? and that is not as old as FSX.

Now if we were talking about LM's P3D I would agree despite it also having its roots in FSX it still has to prove, at least to me, that it is robust and a step forward from FSX, and this has not been the case up till version 2.5 , however it looks initially that they have finally created a reliable , low VAS version in version 3 , time will tell.

So it may well turn out that we can now finally cut the umbilical cord that connects us to the old boxed version of FSX it has served us well, but I think it is time to move on and regain the disk space used by FSX.
    G-MSJC

Re: Concerns over FSXSE? Why?

Post by G-MSJC on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 pm

It's always wise to be a little cautious. As you get older you realise the best of things go wrong and the words come back into ones head, "if only I had......"

Same goes for Win 10. I can't fault it (at the moment) but there are too many variables out there and things suddenly come out of the woodwork that you did not see or realise were there.

So to me being cautions is wise but of course not to the extent of paranoia.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:56 am

Well, to me its the other way round.
    FSX-SE is my first FSX that I trust. I hated FSX box. SE is a no brainer. I just works. Gone are the CTD gone is all the bloody tweaking and fiddling. So i have no distrust.

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:21 pm

FSX Steam works OK but so did my boxed version of FSX Acceleration. However I cant see any point in having both so I have bitten the bullet this morning and un-installed the old version.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 pm

you little devil you
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 pm

And is SE really 10x faster? Be good for helo flying where fps can be a pain threshold!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi Dai,

I wish it was 10 X faster but its not. It ain't that much different compared to the old boxed version of FSX however there are some improvements with the graphics and I hope that other updates will follow in due course.

Cheers, M

PS When are you going to join us in multi player?
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:53 pm

G-GMDH wrote:Hi Dai,

I wish it was  10 X faster but its not. It ain't that much different compared to the old boxed version of FSX however there are some improvements with the graphics and I hope that other updates will follow in due course.

Cheers, M

PS When are you going to join us in multi player?

Thanks, Mike - opinions differ, some say many times faster and others point to unusual effects - particularly in missions, which is an interest area for me . My (box=Accel) FSX installation is about 2 years old and is fairly stable (as long as I use the default Free Flight or First Mission after loading, else I get CTDs), so I've no real desire to try another version. Equally, until P3D is 64-bit (or LM get out of the weapons business - Ha!!), I won't be trying it, despite excellent clouds and submerged views.

On the multiplayer front, I seem to miss the events. Do we have a pre-set time for this? Althoughy time is generally limited, I enjoy MP so would be grateful if I had some notice of timing, if that's possible.

Bests - Dai. Cool
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 am

There´s no magic in FSX.SE
    Its maybe a little bit faster, but all that depends more on scenery settings and which aircraft you use than anything else. (P3D the same)
    For me SE is more stable. (much more stable) but if I had a stable FSX box install, I wouldnt change to anything. The day you need to reinstall a FSX-box, maybe consider something else.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:54 am

geez i just posted a long reply to Dai and DB's post seems to have annihilated it

to recap it appears that those with more modern p.c's seem to benefit more than those with "older" equipment Mike still gets silly (high) fps rates albeit without using antialiasing, however Mike Steven and I all manage to fly in multiplayer for well over an hour each time and we have never had a problem with the computers crashing, and Steven is a recent immigrant to SE.
    As DB says stability is the most important.

I use DX10 for stability and for added performance but there are those who dont see any benefit from it , on the contrary some have problems using it, i would not be without it!

As an example of how my p.c profits from SE when i videod the ascent of Snowdon both the box version and P3D gave me a respectable 60 odd fps, SE on the other hand gave me 220 odd fps!!

as for when we use multiplayer we tend to fly most weekends at about 3 pm your time and use skype for coms however as we are mostly retired we can pick up the joystick some times mid week. it tends to be a last minute decision, but I will see if we can try to announce it a bit better.

we are currently looking at cockpit sharing this week but that needs that we have the same a/c so it would be an idea one evening to have a joint skype session to compare notes and share stuff.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:09 pm

one might find this video interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpQgUBKDKM

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:07 am