SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Wanted - Air Band AM Radio Transceiver

G-GMDH

Wanted - Air Band AM Radio Transceiver

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to source a cheap air band radio, it doesn't have to be sophisticated as its only needed to TX transmit and RX receive on one channel 130.000 MHz but MUST be AM of course.

I have searched through a lot of the Chinese manufacturers but all radios so far are FM and not AM required for the air band operation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Re: Wanted - Air Band AM Radio Transceiver

Post by britfrog on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:18 pm

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks N for your links unfortunately they are receivers only. Pity as the prices on first glance looked OK. They must be about in China, my amateur radio friend in Pendine bought a VHF FM hand held transceivers for 20 quid to include shipping to the UK.

I will keep looking, to think years ago in my two way radio days I dumped skip fulls of old AM gear away because I only used FM.

Bring back the good old PYE Bantams.......................

Cheers, M
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:57 am

sorry m8 didnt fully read your post

However you are showing your age mentioning PYE they only made radios before Pontius was a pilot

when i was a Kid in the bahamas we had a huge pye radio that had an aerial wire that went around the living room (at least 60 feet) , you tuned the station using the dolls eye , but we could listen to the BEEB probably on long wave , because the local station zns back then was grim.

however as usual i digress

have you looked at Ebay?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:59 am

Hi N,

Yes I checked e bay and some of the Chinese web site but no one is coming up with the correct product at the right price, however I will keep searching.

PYE Telecommunications had some interesting two way radio equipment back when I first started in business, most of it operating with valves!!!

I remember my grandfather having a valve broadcast radio siting on top of the sideboard and being fascinated with the bright green tuning eye.

The good old days of steam radio!!!

Thanks for the help.

Cheers, M
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:58 am

Take a look at the Icom IC-E90 if you can get hold of one.

It does rx on air band, rx and tx on 143.875/144 range and rx and tx on the PMR ranges.

Programmable via a PC, can be tweaked.

Only downside is that in sub-zero temperatures it switches to half power to save the battery.

Trouble is Mike most Tx/Rx mobby's come under the Ham radio heading, so the price even for a stale sandwich is higher..  Sad

Search for this:

Vertex Air Band Handheld Transceiver VXA-710two way radio
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Many thanks for that J but and there's always a but its ONLY FM. This is the main problem as most portable radios coming out of China are only FM and not AM for air band use.

One of my amateur radio friends back in West Wales recently bought, through Amazon, two dual band portable radios which operated on VHF and UHF all singing and dancing, desk top rapid charger etc etc for 20 quid each and that included carriage.

The build quality he was telling me is excellent and it even had a built in torch and FM broadcast radio receiver so he can listen to the Archers!!!!!!

Cheers, M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 am