SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

sh-t happens

britfrog

sh-t happens

Post by britfrog on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:25 pm

today one of my dogs knocked my 3tb drive onto the ground and now it no longer works, this is a major disaster as it was also a backup of the family pics as well as all my fsx files.
    I have removed the drive from the caseing however although the p.c. recognises the drive and installs the driivers it will not appear in the file manager .
    has anyone experience of the companies that recover info??
    donnybalonny

Re: sh-t happens

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 pm

That is sh*t for sure. Sorry that I cant help you, but I have heard about people getting their files back from really seriously damaged HDD.

Say hello to the dog and tell him/her you are sorry you left a HDD where he/she could knock it over. (I have dogs myself)
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:24 pm

I have a pair of siberian huskies, that choose to live with us, they must like it as they stay and dont try to escape
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:24 pm

well after my disaster of a backupdrive going west i had 2 hardrives go tits up with corruption and no backup !! well there was but it was 6 months old, so there was a lot of recent stuff not on it , like a load of my recent photoscenery. So am now in day 4 of fsxse resurrection, yesterday i spent all day installing REX weather!! today some scenery and a/c to test the system is working ok, plus setting up the .cfg file and using nvidia inspector to set the graphics and get rid of the jaggies. I wont get any more done now until after the new year as family arrives tonight, but one interesting thing has come to light, the other day before the drive failures fsxse was running at 1.4 mb of vas and fsx 1.9, my new fsxse is running at 1.9 so will try to find out why it is using more vas than last time. Now i understand how James felt and he has done it all twice in recent weeks, all i need to do is re-install P3Dv3.1 but i wont be messing with win 10 this whole mess was down to that program so I will be using win7 on that drive
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 am

Sometimes I have a feeling that we are 50% flightsimmers and 50% install/tweak simmers.

Good luck with the project.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:50 pm

well my family have now gone back to the uk so have made another go at getting things installed. Have now installed my 2 flight planners and their 5 years of upgrades, plus vatsim and the interfaces, removed most of the jaggies but there is still some work to do, Now have the daunting task of re-installing over 35 aerosoft airports as these will not copy across correctly - - - -  -
    then there is horizon Gb photoscenery, and then?

do it all again for P3D Sad

there must be some way to back all this up without having to reinstall so much?  I have an old version of Norton ghost i wonder if that will work?

any ideas?
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:39 pm

How about RAID - doesn't that automatically duplicate/triplicate your data storage for security?

Happy New Year, Mate!!!

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:14 pm

I have lost count now of the days I have spent trying to get fsxse to some semblance of what it was before the crash, I can well understand those that get cheesed off with it, and lose enthusiasm, it seems like one is trying to climb a huge rockface, only to find that when you get to the top there is another rockface further on. I am now debating whether to bother installing all my 60 odd major airports again, or to do them in dribs and drabs as and when i need them, as i currently gain most of my enjoyment flying around using photoscenery especially our own home grown scenery. This may well turn out to be the best alternative in the end as it is a mind numbingly daunting prospect to sit in front of the p.c for hours on end just installing airports that one might not use. It never ceases to amaze me how much we put into our sim over time, and just when i think well that will do I then remember another little thing that did something important that simply has to be installed.

Yesterday I tried to resurrect my 3tb back up drive, i downloaded a great little program that enabled me to see what was available on the drive, the drive had somehow partitioned itself into 3 logical drives after the drop from the desk and only one was readable even though somehow the file system had been changed from NTFS to RAW. so i downloaded what i could, sadly all my sim files were on the unuseable partitions.
    Still it then enabled me to format the drive and make it useable again, but in the process of installing backup files onto it again things went boss eyed again , it stopped working and closer examination brought to light the fact that although the disk was working correctly the small PCB on the drive had a fault (caused by dropping from the desk) in the circuit that became evident once the pcb became warm. So now i have located a replacement pcb for 20 odd pounds so i hope that will allow me to use the drive again

Deep Joy
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I prefer installing things one at a time. You get to fly inbetween installing and you have some kind of control on what is going on with your sim. I have once done the mega install, just to find out that the sim was way to "heavy" and worked poorly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 am