SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

P3D3 and win10

kevinfirth

P3D3 and win10

Post by kevinfirth on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:55 pm

A little apprehensively, I decided to hit install on win10 yesterday morning. Seemed to be quick and painless, and I am rather surprised that I'm getting 45-50fps in the Majestic Q400, when in exactly the same scenario with exactly the same settings but under win7 immediately before installing 10, I was only getting 20-25fps.

I've not read anything that would substantiate why technically this might be the case and I was certainly not expecting it, but its one particular gift horse I'm not looking in the mouth!

Has anyone else had similar surprising results, or may be able to offer an explanation as to why I'm seeing this apparent increase due seemingly to only the change of OS?

I'm on an old i5 2500K @4.7 GHz and running a fairly old and very average Radeon 7950 3Gb....

Cheers K
    britfrog

Re: P3D3 and win10

Post by britfrog on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 am

I have win10 and p3d as well on one hard drive and cant say that I noticed any difference , when i last made a video i was getting the same 55fps from fsx and p3d and 210fps from SE, incredible i know but have the video to prove it. However that was p3d v2.5 , i have not checked fps on the new p3d

However what made me reomve win10 from 2 other drives was not only the lack of privacy as discussed in another thread here but the way you have no control over how, or when it downloads updates, as it brings the p.c. to its knees when it does this and you can guarantee it will want to do it when you are on short final somewhere after a 2 hour flight, or watching a movie and it has just got to the interesting bit.

There are some bits of win10 that I like, however i cannot see it being a serious contender for win7 because we just dont have enough control over it.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:00 am

Good to hear some good news regarding 10, my 7 is dragging it's feet at the moment. So 1 more fresh install and maybe it will be time for me to emigrate to 10. Thanks for the info Kevin..
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:43 pm

just did a quick check, however i have already moved some sliders etc, i am getting 35fps in the maule and similar a/c and 25 in the aerosoft airbus, using photoscenery so about the same as fsx
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:22 pm

brit am I right in saying youre an nvidia user?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:14 pm

yeah thats right kev, I7 2600k running at 4.2, gtx 660 TI 10% o/c 16gb mem

May I suggest that you are seeing is what many of us have with a virgin win10 installation and similar p3d which as we all know from previous experience goes slowly downhill as we add stuff?

however who knows? i know that FSX was originally fine tuned for use with nvidia cards, maybe someone along the line recently decided to give other cards a better deal?

Personally I "play" with p3d as anything before and including 2.5 was a total waste of money IMHO , yes the graphics are slightly better than FSX but the VAS issue overwhelmed any enjoyment that one could reap, and initial signs are that v3 is a lot better but i have only started to ramp up the sliders to somewhere near what I have in SE, so time will tell ,

however if I am going to do any "serious flying" i will still use FSX and occasionally SE as these 2 guarantee for me that I can fly from one complex airport to another with a 2 hour or more flight and arrive at the other end without a crash or any p.c. issues and a minimum of 35fps, no matter what a/c i use except the airbus which is heavier on the system.

But I must say early signs are that LM are finally getting things reasonably right, which bodes well for our hobby, but i do know of some very good things that are currently being developed which may knock LM into touch.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Ahhh, so you did get P3Dv3?

The general consensus wuth respect of P3D is that maxing the sliders is a lot more than maxing the sliders in FSX/FSX-SE
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

DB curiosity got the better of me I have to say V3 is radically different than anything before ,

and even more amazing is the fact that i managed a 1hr flight from LFMP to LFPO and i managed to complete the whole flight and taxi to the terminal without a crash, that was impossible before!! even if my fps were only 14 at LFPO using the aerosoft airbus

I havent maxed my sliders but I am using LOD radius as 8.5 and fiddled with certain slider parameters
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Good to know. My impression from others sais the same, that this is e new and better version.

Did you know that P3D (v2 and v3) have LOD radius fixed at 6.5? You can change the CFG file to whatever, but the sim wont change.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 am

DB i have to disagree here,
    I changed to 8.5 from 5.5 and immediately noticed the difference, for me the main bug bear with p3d was the lack of LOD radius, like 2.5 , the blurry scenery only became sharp as the nose passed over it now it is like fsx on 8.5.
    however just to make sure i wasnt dreaming i will double check today
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:00 am

Nigel, I´m not going to discuss this of course, I dont own P3Dv3, but its being said that V3 comes with the same fixed LOD setting of 6.5 which is one thing that turns me off a bit.

Take a look at this thread if you wish: from `post #4
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?97583-P3D-autogen-problem-maybe
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:53 pm

hey no discussion DB its cool , with 2.5 i would agree with them, however I think they may be getting a little mixed up between the definition of default, v3 defaults to 6.5 as it did 4.5 in fsx however i am convinced i see a difference by changing it to 8.5, i will try to take some pics later and analyse them, if I am correct i will post them. Yhey also were talking about autogen popping, i have autogen set to 0
    watch this space!
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:50 pm

I´m not participating in the P3D forum, but it would be the place to find out about the LOD thing.

This with the popping autogen is a typical FSX feature and P3D (in v2 as well) does that a lot better I totally agree with that. Its a smooth transition which doesnt catch the eye like the popping does.
    This and the clouds is what i like about P3D, the rest i dont care much about and the dark look and somehow hard contrast can sometimes be directly negative.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

ok I have just spent the last 2 hours analysing and come to these conclusions:  using my own photoscenery at .5m
    i started off at lod 8.5 then 10.5 then 12.5 but wasnt sure if i was imagining  the distant villages getting clearer, i ended up at 20.5 where i was sure the distance had gone further away, i then went back to 4.5 and that made it clear that you can change the LOD in v3 however it is difficult to be precise because the v3 scenery shimmers into view and it is difficult to guage how far away that shimmering is.

As a last comparison i tried fsx se at 10.5 and have come to an indisputeable conclusion:

FSXSE is far far far superior to P3DV3 in the way it portrays photoscenery it is clearer, and comes into focus much further away than V3

but because of of the way v3 creates shadows it gives the impression that villages are more 3d than fsx se

to be continued:

well i went back to P3d and discovered the scenery i was using was 1m where on fsx it was .5m so upgraded the p3d scenery to .5m and went through all the tests again, in conclusion p3d shimmers closer to the a/c but it is not as noticeable as when fsx "pops " its view into focus however fsx does this further away than p3d, , the colours in p3d have more depth, but the fsx image appears sharper

in conclusion it is difficult to choose between the two progs as they produce their imagery in a different mannerthere is no doubt that P3D V3 is the first version that can be taken seriously if for no other reason than you can fly for more than 30 minutes without it crashing, as for the lod radius and graphics , well i am sure that will spark mant a discussion for some time to come as you have avid supporters on both sides.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:25 am

I have more or less the same feelings. I prefer FSX-SE for my photoscenery and P3Dv2.5 for my non-photoscenery, mainly Orbx Alaska regions and Tongass Fjords.
    I find that The strong contrast and color in P3D "burns" many photosceneries. The whites look flat and very shiny, whereas FSX has softer tones, which IMHO works better for photo.
    On the other hand, I really hope that Dovetail will one day be able to make clouds like P3D. The difference is huge in P3D´s favor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 pm