SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Show us your favorite freeware aircraft

donnybalonny

Show us your favorite freeware aircraft

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:48 pm

This place is almost 2 month old and we never discuss Airplanes (only photoscenery Shocked )

So I thought I would start a new topic about what I consider the most important thing in flightsimming... The airplanes. And if freeware, better.
    Lately I´ve been flying a lot of freeware AC. Diggin up some old friends, FS9 and fs9 -> fsx conversion. Those didnt work in P3D. The VC clickspots were not working.
    So since I now have fsx steam working, I can enjoy some of these AC
    So why freeware... well because they are free AND because some of them are really good and you can feel all the good spirit from the creator, working on something to give to us and not thinking about money.

So, here´s one of my favorites since back in FS2004:
    Milton Shupe and others Beechcraft D18. Here in a version converted to FSX acceleration by Dave Carroll. With bumpmapping and all the fine stuff.
    It can be downloaded here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/9393/fsx-beechcraft-d18s-snb/

G-GMDH

Re: Show us your favorite freeware aircraft

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Yes its good to have a rest from scenery and water.

So here is one of my favourite free aircraft, the "Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat" ultra light.................

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 am

I dont see an Aeroprakt before. Looks like a great scenery spotter with the huge glass doors. Maybe I should give it a try, even though I´m not the biggest UL fan.

I forgot to add about the Beech D-18 (C-45), that the Spantax livery is from a real world flying aircraft here in Spain (Madrid) Its owned by an organisation that restore and fly old aircraft like a kind of open air museum.
    There´s a very nice page about the story of this AC from its WW2 days to its asociation days and also  about its 10 years restoration period. Its in Spanish, but there are lots of pictures Smile
    http://crmr.fio.es/cole/C-45/C-45.html

And a page about their collection of antigue aircraft. They are almost all flying:
    http://crmr.fio.es/cole/
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Oh eck! Looks like I am lookin for a new freebee after disaster strikes in Spain.. Sad

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Is that an "optional extra" on payware aircraft, James?

This is a nice free aircraft web site.....  http://www.classicwings.net/

Cheers, M

Last edited by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:13 pm

My father always reckoned he loved "stooging around" in a DH89 Dragon Rapide, recently i was looking in his logbooks and searching for photos of a/c that he flew just after the war, on the internet, one of the a/c was a Dragon so i looked up the registration , and photos only to find it was still flying to this day ! and i have seen it quite a few times and had friends actually fly in it!! it is now doing joyrides at Duxford. So it was a no brainer to download Dave Garwoods well made example and enjoy it.

Here you see it flying along the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, where these a/c used to ply their trade before air travel became common place

and here is how it looks today

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Ahh, thats such a stylish AC. Is the FDE of the freeware convincing and is there a reasonable VC?

Its a "famous" AC in spanish aviacion and they have that "famous" one in the asociation that I linked above.
    G-ACYR flew General Franco from Canarias to Morroko in summer 36, where he started moving north and started the Spanish civil war. The AC was later in 53 given to El Caudillo Generalisimo Franco. And its now in the museum.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Another one of my free favourites................"GUEPARD" flying over photo real Central Italy

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Are you sure its not a SUPER GUEPARD? Smile
    I kind of like it. It reminds me of what sometimes fly around here. It has a decent VC as well.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:11 am

Ok, I have a very nice one for you today. ZLIN Z142
    Good Payware quality. Very nice VC, flightdynamics, looks etc. Its a cold war period eastern europe trainer/light aerobatics AC. It is different from your usual Cessnas/pipers. Remember to use the compressor and flaps1 on take-off. It has a lot of nice little contacts that has to be pushed before start (ctrl-e is optional)
    Good thing is that its all in English even in the VC (I cant fly russian AC). And the best thing is that it has a truly awesome soundpackage. inside, outside, when cruising, giving throttle and cutting throttle. It just sounds good. Its an inverted straight 6cyl.
    I have tuned it a little bit in the Aircraft.cfg. It is a bit sloppy but now it cruises at 115kt
    Highly recommended. These days I use it more than my A2A Cherokee. It can be found at flightsim and installs in FSX and P3D

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi DB,

Thanks for the picture it looks an interesting aircraft.

Some questions for you.....

1. How do you switch "ON" the "GPS" and "Transponder"?

2. How do you "PRESS" the start button? (I have tried using my mouse and its not working, the only way I can start the engine is "CNTRL+E" on the keyboard)

Many thanks.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Mike, if you are interested. here´s the changes that I did in the Aircraft.cfg

[flight_tuning]
    pitch_stability=1.2
    roll_stability=1.2
    aileron_effectiveness=1.3
    rudder_effectiveness=0.8
    elevator_trim_effectiveness = 0.8

[piston_engine]
    power_scalar=1.2

Its, of course, just my way of seing the Zlin. I found it to be a bit to sloppy and nervous at the same time and IMHO, with the above settings its a bit less sloppy and nervous.

It does depend of one´s controllers
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:51 pm

THANKS DB for the settings its now less nervous as you say.

How do I start it manually?

I cannot press the START button.

I can only start by using CTRL+E on my keyboard.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 am

On the floor there is a panel with a lot of little contacts. batt on, avionics on, inv on etc. It has pop up text and its in English. Try that. And there´s also a red contact on the throttle panel. Cant remember if it says start or batt. It also has prop control.
    Remember to use compressor on the main panel just below the throttle. As I wrote, this one is different from the usual American GA planes.
    What do you think about the sound?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:37 pm

donnybalonny wrote:On the floor there is a panel with a lot of little contacts. batt on, avionics on, inv on etc. It has pop up text and its in English. Try that. And there´s also a red contact on the throttle panel. Cant remember if it says start or batt. It also has prop control.
    Remember to use compressor on the main panel just below the throttle. As I wrote, this one is different from the usual American GA planes.
    What do you think about the sound?

OK thanks DB I will give that a go...................cheers, M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 am