SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Rex soft clouds

Admin
    Admin

Rex soft clouds

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

If like me you are a REX user may i recommend that you take advantage of the current sale price of 5 euros 40 , less than 5£ as this program added to rex 4 makes some really interesting differences to the clouds
    Well worth while

donnybalonny

Re: Rex soft clouds

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:29 pm

I like REX soft Clouds in FSX but not in P3D

Soft clouds are low resolution 512 cumulus clouds and for some reason, they blend well in FSX.

P3D has a lot better cloud rendering with more transparency and fluffy feel than FSX, so there I prefer higher resolution cumulus clouds.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:59 am

havent tried them yet in p3d , but dont higher res clouds mean reduced performance ?

I have been experimenting yesterday between using rex as a weather engine (200 odd kb's of VAS) and comparing it with the stock FSX weather engine which has virtually no effect on VAS.
    The weather here was awful yesterday with a cloud base of 1300 feet, heavy rain, and blowing well (70mph) , and i have to say the stock FSX weather engine gave a much more realistic reproduction of the actual weather than did REX !!!
    I had installed rex soft clouds but they were not as evident in the fsx reproduction as they were in the rex weather, however the fsx overcast was overcast which rex didnt really reproduce properly till about 4500 feetI have FSGRW on a different drive I will have to see how that works with soft clouds because sometimes that can produce impressive results
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 am

Remember that Rex soft clouds ONLY replaces 1 cumulus texture and absolutely nothing else.

Rex makes good solid products, but their PR blabber is extreme. But the worst is that people actually believe what rex write about their products. (I can prove it)

IMHO, the soft clouds work very well in FSX because fsx doesnt produce transparent clouds very well and the soft clouds are not very transparent either. So that goes well together. Lets say they understand each other well.

P3D is a lot better when it comes to transparency and so its worth using higher definition more transparent cloud textures.
    This screenie is from p3d2.5. cloud textures are rex4 1024kb (not the highest) place is Picos de Europa freware spain photoscenery, freware 5m spain mesh. AC is in red cross colors, because I feel our world need a bit of help these days. Neutral

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:33 am

this may be one of the reasons that p3d 2.5 is so heavy on vas, it would be interesting to know if they changed the cloud definition in v3 to reduce the vas
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:51 pm

As far as I have understood, they have changed the cloud definition in V3 to even better definition and that they have highly reduced the VAS and OOM problems by doing something else.
    That is the main major change in V3. (and this avatar thing)
    Its to early to fully know if it is like that because the V3 installs are still relatively "light". Lets wait and see what happens when people have filled their installs with 500GB of heavy photoscenery, aerosoft mega stuff, PMDG 777 etc .

I dont have VAS or OOM problems in P3D2.5. But I normally dont fly more than 1 hour/1.5 or so in P3D.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 am