SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

A GUIDE TO WATER MASKS IN FSET

G-GMDH

A GUIDE TO WATER MASKS IN FSET

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:30 pm

If I can do this so can you.....................

Open up Google Earth and click on the polygon symbol on the top toolbar.

Name this "Coast" and select the colour "red" and select in the area box "outline"

You now have your red coastline drawn and saved.

Do the same again this time the name is "DeepWater" and select the colour "blue".

You now have both red and blue lines drawn and saved.

You then draw a box aroud this in say "yellow" and call this "area"

In GE after making your 3 polygons, Coast, DeepWater and area you MUST close the box "My Places" so the 3 polygons are hidden in the folder then ONLY then save "My Place" as AreaKML.kml

You then have to save these as an "AreaKML.kml" and make sure you do select kml file NOT kmz as it defaults in GE to this.

Make sure this kml is saved in the "fset" in the "work" folder. You can double check this by looking in the "work" folder clicking on the kml file and it should open up your drawn area in GE.

Next open FSET as normal, select GE or VE, set "Complete Scenery" to "YES" and set "Create Masks" to "YES".

Then PRESS the "K" button on the FSET control panel and it should show your "yellow" boxed area on the download window in FSET.

Then download as normal.

M

Last edited by G-GMDH on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:03 pm; edited 13 times in total
    britfrog

Re: A GUIDE TO WATER MASKS IN FSET

Post by britfrog on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:16 pm

alright, alright already i give in, i will give it a go

sheeesh !
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I dont do the square called 'area'. In the online "tutorials" I found, it wasnt mentioned.
    So why do that? what does it change compared to not making it?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi DB,

It doesn't change anything.

Doing it this way you can "PRESS the "K" button in FSET control panel and it shows the area to be downloaded.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:40 pm

That sounds helpfull specially on small islands like this one or if you want to make a high-res area around an airport . I will test.
    Since the areas I make often have to line up with what is above, below or to the sides, I mostly end up typing the coordinates in FSET.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 am

I wonder if Kevin realises what he has started?

OK Kev whats the next thing to learn???
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:20 am

Water to land transitions.....  Making the transition smooth. This with the X1 and Y2 things.
    I would like to know if I should change the the fsearthmask.ini before downloading the tiles or before compiling the areas.

QUOTE:
    "It's well worth looking at the FSEarthmasks.ini, which contains the following:

# ---------- Water Transition One (Coast, DeepWater, Water) ---------------
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1x = 0.0
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1y = 0.1
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2x = 1.0
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2y = 1.0

#The allowed point co-ords go between 0.0 and 1.0 whereas the X-Axis is the transition distance from the Coast (0.0 = On Coast, 1.0 =On DeepWater Line) and the Y-Axis the transition progress factor. (0.0 = nothing or off, 1.0 = full effect or max)

By changing those 4 values between 0.0 and 1.0 you can alter the look of how your transparency blend works and make it 'fit' the real world circumstances of where you're creating scenery for a little more accurately. I really always leave 1x as 0.0 and draw my coastline where I want the waters edge (in order to get absolutely exact water placement), 2x as 1.0 and draw the deepwater line at either a good distance away to allow a seamless transparency blend _or_ if that isn't possible (like with the Jersey VE imagery in places) as far out as the imagery allows, and 2y as 1.0 so that imagery blends out to meet the 100% FSX/P3D water seamlessly. I change 1y and do a couple of builds to see which one I prefer Smile" QUOTE.
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Mike: nice screenies showing how easy it is Very Happy well done sir!
    The only suggestion I'd make is that better results will be obtained if the red coast line is placed as accurately as possible on the actual shoreline... how pedantic you want to be over getting that millimetre perfect depends on how much time you are willing to spend getting a really good fitting poly, its always a balance, but you can probably get more accurately than you have done above without spending more than a few minutes more on it?

BF: next thing to learn is how to amend the hydropoly that underlies the photoscenery. That will allow the imagery to seamlessly blend in like in the other thread Smile Come on now you know you want to Wink

DB: I dont know if it makes any difference to you. I never do the paint it black stage that you guys seem to, I hit go and FSET downloads and compiles seamlessly for me Smile I need to play with it to understand what effect your current workflow actually has because I dont truly get it yet..

Cheers K
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:58 pm

It ceases to amaze me what a fantastic piece of FREE software FSET really is. I have just re tested with FSET and the kml file this time no painting black and got my red line a little more accurate around the coast.

This is what it produced at 800 feet.............

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:47 pm

Now I´m really confused... But really. So I dont to paint the areamask black in order to get rid of the white squares?
    I would really like to understand that one. I have painted around 1000km of coastline black in photoshop untill now.

And all this waterpoly thing, I will kindly look into at the right time.....me from Espain me know nothing. And me learn very eslowly.
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:29 am

Donny, I think the white squares are where there are no imagery tiles to download at your chosen resolution. If you select an area based on a lower resolution, but use downloaded higher res tiles, sometimes part of the area isnt covered by the high res images, so ypu end up with the white areas. To avoid this myself, I view the entire area at the higher resolution and adjust the poly lines accordingly.

Seems to have worked so far, unless I've just been lucky! :p
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 am

I´m reaching the point where I dont understand anything anymore and its quite frustrating. This whole FSET thing is full of loose ends

So I will ask some very basic and simple questions... Please try to answer in an equally simple way.

1) Mike, ¿how do you make such a perfectly straight 'area' square? which tool do you use from the upper toolbar in google earth?

2) how do I make my kml file show up in FSET? I´m told just to press K key on the keyboard, but nothing happens even though I have FSET as the active window.

Thanks in advance
    DB
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:03 am

Hi DB,

Do not get frustrated I have been trying to do this water mask for 2 years and ONLY now I can do it.

1. I use the polygon symbol for drawing the square. I just click top left then go click top right then move this point to make the line straight then go bottom right make line straight then go bottom left make line straight then complete the box back at top left.

It doesn't have to be a perfect square as it will still work OK.

2. My "K" button didn't work to start until I worked out what you have to do.

In GE after making your 3 polygons, Coast, DeepWater and area you MUST close the box "My Places" so the 3 polygons are hidden in the folder then ONLY then save "My Places" as AreaKML.kml

Then when you open FSET and press "K" the 3 polygons will appear within a download area.

I hope I am making sense to you if not just ask me and I will try to help.

Cheers, M

Last edited by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Some more pictures showing what FSET does after downloading using the AreaKML.kml file......

This test done with satellite images courtesy of Virtual Earth at 1M/PIX download resolution.

Normal BMP with all the white tiles.

Water Masks BMP

This is what it looks like in FSX with "Water Effects" slider maxed out.

Low flying at 700 feet

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Mike

I got number 1.

BUT, number 2, no way. This doesnt make sense to me at all:
    Quote"In GE after making your 3 polygons, Coast, DeepWater and area you MUST close the box "My Places" so the 3 polygons are hidden in the folder then ONLY then save "My Places" as AreaKML.kml" Quote

When you say close the box "My Places", do you mean untick?  If I untick, the 3 lines (Coast, DeepWater and Area) disappears in Google earth. Is that the way?
    If thats the way, then when I click file/save/save my places, nothing happens.
    I can do file/save/save place as.   Then I get the oportunity to save as always. I get a .kml file in the work folder, but nothing happens when I push K in FSET

I think theres a lot of resons to get frustrated with FSET. I might be a good program, but documentation is poor and the only option internet forums like this one, where it seems like each and everyone is doing something different and gets different results. Writing manuals is extremely difficult and normally good manual have been corrected by many persons because what is obvious to one doesnt have to be to another.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi DB,

OK back to item 2 please see the pictures in order of how I do it........

1. PRESS the small black dart to the left of "MY PLACES" to close up the folders "Coast", "DeepWater" and "area"

2. Then click and high light "My Places"

3. After this click "FILE", then select "SAVE" then select "SAVE PLACE AS". This then opens the window in fset works folder and you save as "AreaKML.kml"

Then when you open FSET and PRESS the "K" button the polygons will appear on the tile download screen.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Nope sir. But thanks a million anyway

I think I have copied everything from your "manual". I only had 1 "my places" so I made one more just like you have. I made the lines with the polygon tool and not with the path tool as I´m used to.
    I followed your descriptions but nope..... I have I dont know how many kml files in my recycle bin.
    The darn thing wont show up in FSET. So the stupid question: when saying "K" button, we mean the one inbetween the J and L buttons on the PC keyboard.

So I manually drew around my little test island "Anholt" in FSET, with the kml file made like described above, I let FSET compile, Started FSX, made sure that the folder was activated in the scenery library. Yes, the scenery was there, but the water line was very poor with a ton of FSX bleed through. Most probably because I couldnt see the polygone lines in FSET and therefore I couldnt adjust the difference from the google earth image to the Bing image.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi again DB,

Well I tested again tonight and guess what the "K" button did NOT work. Then I found in GE when I went to save it saved as "AreaKML..kml" too many dots!!!!!! Changed it to "AreaKML.kml" and the "K" button worked OK.

This is what FSET looks like showing the "K" button and the 3 polygons in the download display area.

Cheers, M
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi DB,

Using my method I tested the Island of Anholt using Google Earth satellite images in FSET at 1M/PIX resolution and this is what I got.......................Its not perfect but I did this in under 30 minutes.

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:14 am

The Island looks great. The eastern part is oficially a desert. It hardly rains there.

I dont get this with the 2 dots. I mean, I dont get what you do to see if there are 1 or 2 dots in the name of the kml.
    So the K button is still not funcioning. I have rightclicked the kml file in the work folder to see properties and I´ve tried look everywhere in GE to find a possible place to see what you describe

Man I´m sooo tired of this program. Its been so many hours of troubleshooting since I started using it.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi DB,

Forget about the two dots, it was some thing that happened to me late last night whilst I was doing your little island and stopped the "K" button working in FSET.

I really don't understand the difficulties that you have.

If the kml folder is saved correctly in the "work" folder in fset on the "C" drive of your computer when you PRESS the "K" button on FSET control panel area it will open the polygons on the download screen as my pictures show.

Below is the FSET ini file some of the contents for you to check yours...........

#--- Yes/No Switches --
    UseCSharpScripts            = Yes                                #If yes then the Scripts will be loaded and usesd.
    KeepAreaInfFile             = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the Area.inf              File (used for FS scenery compilation with resample.exe with no Water or Season Masks)
    KeepAreaMaskInfFile         = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the AreaMasks.inf         File (used for FS scenery compilation with resample.exe with Water Masks)
    KeepAreaMaskSeasonInfFile   = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the AreaMasksSeasons.inf  File (used for FS scenery compilation with resample.exe with Season Masks (and water))
    KeepAreaEarthInfoFile       = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the AreaEarthInfo.txt  File (used for Water and Season creation) required input file for FSEarthMasks
    KeepSourceBitmap            = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the Area.bmp           File (This is the original downloaded and assembled Area.bmp and is required for FSEarthMasks and scenery compilation with Area.inf)
    KeepSummerBitmap            = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the AreaSummer.bmp     File (used in AreaMask.inf for scenery compilation with Water/Season Masks. Can be recreated through FSEarthMasks)
    KeepMaskBitmap              = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the AreaMask.bmp       File (used in AreaMask.inf for scenery compilation with Water/Season Masks. Can be recreated through FSEarthMasks)
    KeepSeasonsBitmaps          = Yes                               #if Yes then this keeps the Various Season Bitmaps Files (used in AreaMask.inf for scenery compilation with Water/Season Masks. Can be recreated through FSEarthMasks)
    FS2004KeepTGAs              = Yes                               #choose: Yes or No (you will find them in the \yourscenery\texture\TgaSourceFiles folder)
    UseInformativeAreaNames     = Yes                               #No -> Area.bmp, Yes -> Area_Lp2_SnapLatLong_N042470000_N042400000_E010050000_E010170000.bmp
    ShuffleTilesForDownload     = Yes                               #if you want the Tiles to be shuffeled downloaded instead in plain order
    ShuffleAreasForDownload     = No                                #if you want the Areas to be shuffeled downloaded instead in plain order
    AutoStartDownload           = No                                #Automatical starts the download on application start
    AutoExitApplication         = No                                #Automatical exits the application after the work is done
    OpenWebBrowsersOnStart      = No                                #Yes = Right open the WebBrowser Engine on Start of the Application.
    ShowDisplaySelector         = No                                #Yes = shows the Display mode selector with the 2 modes Free/Tile. Usually of no use except for study/debug.  
    SuppressPitchBlackPixels    = No                                #Yes = All absolut black Pixels color(0,0,0) will be transformed into color(0x01,0x01,0x01) pixels.
    CompileWithAreaMask         = Yes                               #Yes = Compiles the Scenery by useing AreaMasks (AreaFS..MasksInfo.inf) . Should best stay on yes. (only active when CreateAreaMaskBmp  = Yes)

#--- FS compiler ---
    UseLODLimits               = Yes                                #Set to Yes to aktivate FSET's minimum destination LOD creation logic. (effects FSX only)
    MinimumDestinationLOD      = 13                                 #Generates at least LOD's up to this LVL to avoid FS default scenery comeing through. Only active when UseLODLimits = Yes
    CompressionQuality         = 80                              #FS default is 100%. Some like 80 better to generate smaller bgl's with some little cost to the quality.

#--- FS Compilers ---
    FSXSceneryCompiler       = resampleFSXSP2.exe
    FS2004SceneryCompiler    = resampleFS2004.exe
    FS2004SceneryImageTool   = imagetoolFS2004.exe                  #if missing the FS2004 compilation stops with the .tga's (no complete FS2004 executable scenery!)

#--- FS Earth Masks ---
    FSEarthMasksTool          = FSEarthMasks.exe

#--- Earth Masks Config ---
    CreateWaterMaskBitmap      = Yes    # yes = create Water/Blend Mask. (An Area Vectors file (.Kml or .svg) is required for this!)

CreateSummerBitmap         = No    # yes = create Summer Texture  * Important! -> *,  A summer Texture is required when you want to work with FSEM's Color Adaption for Water Regions.

CreateNightBitmap          = No     # yes = create Night  Texture
    CreateSpringBitmap         = No     # yes = create Spring Texture
    CreateAutumnBitmap         = No     # yes = create Autumn Texture        (Thomas M. routines check FSEM Scripts)
    CreateWinterBitmap         = No     # yes = create Winter Texture        (Thomas M. routines check FSEM Scripts)
    CreateHardWinterBitmap     = No     # yes = create Hard Winter Texture   (Thomas M. routines check FSEM Scripts)

BlendBorders               = No     # yes = auto blend Borders (Blend-Transition) of an (Multi-)Area

#--- Third Party Tools ---
    UseAreaKMLFile                  = Yes                         #yes = an AreaKML.kml File is expected in the Work Folder used for Water and Blend Vectors. You need to create that File in advance!
    UseScalableVectorGraphicsTool   = no                         #yes = Starts the SVG Tool for every Downloaded Area (Only if CreateAreaMaskBmp is on)
    ScalableVectorGraphicsTool      = C:\IrfanView\i_view32.exe    #Used for Drawing Water and Blend Vectors creating a .SVG File

I checked my KML folder "Details" under "Properties", NAME = AreaKML.kml, TYPE = KML File, FOLDER PATH = C:\fset\work and SIZE = 6.82 Kbs (Island of Anholt). If you click and open it it should open up GE and go to the map and show the polygons.

Hope this helps.....................M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Ok.... Could it be a problem that I have FSET on my F-drive. I cant imagine that. I mean the kml file is in F:\FSET\work (and the name the same as yours and about the same size)

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:32 pm

NOW I got it. flower
    In your last post you  write K button in FSET.
    I thought it was the K button on the keyboard. A few posts ago, I asked if the K button was the one between the J and the L on the keyboard and since I thought that wasnt answered, I kept using that one. I didnt see last night that you had made a stippled line to the K button on the top screenshot.
    I´m downloading now. Lets see what happens.
    And sorry for being such oneeyed looser. cyclops

Last edited by donnybalonny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi again DB,

Our messages crossed in the post. I did answer your question about the "K" button and went to the trouble of making a picture showing the FSET open with the "K" button indicated in less than 3 hours after your post.

Anyway hope you got it working........................

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:00 pm

So we cross posted again and this time I was editing my last post. Look above. I´m sorry. My only excuse was that it was late yesterday and I was really tired of this story.
    I´m downloading again. Guess what happened with first test.... Yes, I got white squares around the Island. So this is last test before they lock me in for good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:01 pm