SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Free ordnance survey data

kevinfirth

Free ordnance survey data

Post by kevinfirth on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:59 am

OS are now letting you use free OS Open Map - Local data, something which they used to licence at over £55k for the whole uk not so long ago!
    It should now be possible to produce individual level building autogen for the whole uk at zero cost using something like Arno Gerretson's Scenproc utility Smile

ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html
    britfrog

Re: Free ordnance survey data

Post by britfrog on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Oh WoW !! Thanks for that Kevin, this means that Mike can now redo the uk and instead of it being 600 odd g.b's he can get higher definition and use less space to boot

I have been playing already with scenproc and whilst I like the forests it makes i dont like the buildings. I personally find that most autogen jarrs and rather than add atmosphere it detracts from the atmosphere.

I am a great admirer of France vfr stuff and have quite a lot of it including some of their later vfr scenery but prefer in most cases their photoscenery without the 3d stuff.

Now if Arne could make an automatic program which looked at the shapes of houses in the images we download and recreate something similar on an individual basis rather than the rules applying to the LOD 13 grid of 1.2 kms then he would be on a winner, and so would we.

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 pm