SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Screenshot of KML file

donnybalonny

Screenshot of KML file

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:16 pm

As promised and In order to demystify the KML file thing a bit, here you have a screenshot form a small area, I just did.
    When I started making photoscenery, I had the problem that sometimes, the darn white squares showed up on the finished photoscenery.
    I did a lot of tests and here´s what i found out. (I may be wrong, but it worked me because I havent had the problem since):

Notice that the red and the blue line both  going out above the drawed area. They can go out to the side both, but if the red goes out above and the blue to the side, then the watermask wont work.
    Also notice that the "my places" is ticked to the left.  I have temporary places ticked as well. Its not nescessary, but does that its faster delete the Coast and DeepWater lines. I can have up to 15 - 20 Coast lines and 5 - 6 DeepWater lines in a complicated area.
    Finally, remember to write the name of the lines correctly eg: Coast, Coast2, DeepWater, DeepWater 2 etc and also to save the file as AreaKML.kml
    It takes me a couple of minuts to drow a kml file like this one. I´m sure it can be done more precisely etc, but it works for me.

And the final result at 3000 feet.
    G-GMDH

Re: Screenshot of KML file

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Firstly many thanks DB for putting this on the forum. However I am still confused as to what I have to do. The picture shows my test area around Caldey Island in both red and blue. The kml file is in fset, works folder but not able to open it with pressing K on the FSET.

If I open the kml file by clicking on it in the works folder it takes me to GE with the drawing of both red and blue, so that works OK.

I save the file as AreaKML.kml with 2 polygons one for Coast and one for DeepWater.

What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks, M

kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Mike, IIRC you need to draw a rectangular poly called 'area' which encompasses the scenery you want to create. That rectangular 'area' poly needs to be in the AreaKML.kml file Smile

I struggled with that for ages before the lightbulb came on!! K I'd post a screeny but I'm not allowed to yet! Sad
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Kevin, i dont do like that. I dont draw a rectangular called "area" in the kml file and its the first time I hear about it and I have searched a good amount of forums.
    I make a red Coast line and a blue DeepWater (remember to write them that way!) On my screenshot, top left menu you can see 3 Coast lines and one DeepWater line, but I have had up to 22 Coast lines and 5 DeepWater lines.
    Remember to tick the "my places" top left menu. You can see that i have temporary places ticked as well. Thats not necessary, but it makes cleaning up Google earth easyer if you have many red and blue lines.

You read that you are supposed to make the red line on the coast and not outside. Again see my screenshot.

After that, make sure the area you draw on FSTiles is outside the lines.

I had many bad attempts in the start, where I got white squares, but fortunately thats a couple of gigabites time since that and I never get the white squares now.

The problem with FSET is poor documentation and a lot of confusing forum posts on the WWW

I hope my little effort helps if not.... I´ll try again
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi guys, well Kevin I'm not sure about the light bulb coming on, I'm still using a candle by your standards. But seriously to you and DB thanks a million, both methods worked perfectly OK, yours Kevin enabled using the "K" button on the FSET panel.

What is interesting are the two pictures below one done in GE and the other in VE. In the VE one you can see the default FSX cartoon scenery coming through whereas in the GE one that doesn't seem to happen? I didn't spend too much time painting in the black mask so it may be my fault? This was just a quick test to see if I could do it. "Water Effects" slider flat out in FSX by the way.

Again MANY THANKS to you BOTH...............................M

donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Mike, did you use the KML on your screenshot above? or did you make a new kml with a Coast line closer to the coast itself?

I like the color of your water. Is that default FSX. I´m so tired of this way to blue REX 4 water that I have.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi DB,

The WATER EFFECTS are ONLY FSX default with the slider full up to the right. I redid the red coast line a little closer but very fast as it was only a test. I have just redone it again ONLY to see if it still works. In one of the pictures I came to close to the land and you can just see the FSX cartoon scenery showing. Its early days but at least I have it working. I think FSET favours GE on the water masks.

Thanks again, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Mike I have tons of these little fsx bleed through corners.

I believe its because the photoscenery and the FSX scenery is not the same size. I can live with that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:42 am