SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Applications I use for scenery development and what I use them for..

kevinfirth

Applications I use for scenery development and what I use them for..

Post by kevinfirth on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Just thought it might be useful for us to all share what we actually use on a day to day basis? Smile
    Here's my most used list...

1. FSET - to create photoreal scenery
    2. Google Earth - to create kml files for use in FSET
    3. FSX_KLM - to convert kml files into ESRI shp files so they can be imported into SBuilderX
    4. QGIS - for importing created ESRI shp files and editing or combining them into more easily useable datasets
    5. SBuilderX - to create waterpoly and landclass vector bgl files for accurate water and terrain placement
    6. Sketchup - basic model design
    7. LecGoogle - for creating accurate LOD and QMID squares as kml files for use in Google Earth
    8. Terrain Sculptor - for quickly and easily creating terrain modifications using sloped flattens (previously used to do these in ADE or SBX but it was such a long and tortuous process I hardly ever did it)
    donnybalonny

Re: Applications I use for scenery development and what I use them for..

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:16 pm

I use Kevin´s number 1 and 2 + an old version of Photoshop elements to paing the watermask files black. It has the advantage of VERY thick brushes. 10 times bigger than the brushes of an old Paintshop trial version that I downloaded to test.

I might use something else later on in my "carreer" but for now, I´m pretty happy with the result I get out of these few apps
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I seem to remember you telling me sbuilder x was very por when i was having trouble with it kev and it was you and chris that proposed fset. most people i spoke to have loads of crashes with it.

just realised i have still a lot to learn
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:53 pm

yep I wouldnt use SBX for creating photoreal scenery now, but it is unsurpassed for working vector elements such as water and land areas - ie hydropolys (watermasks) and landclass

Until the release of the 64bit version I did indeed find it very dodgy and prone to crashes, but the newer 64bit release seems to be much more stable for me Smile
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:22 am

Just found a useful little conversion site - converter.mygeodata.eu/

This allows easy conversion of loads of different file types. What does this mean in practice?

Instead of having to rely upon kml files created in Google Earth and then converting them to shp files for use in SBuilderX, I can also do it in reverse. It's easy to create a polygon in SBuilderX, export it as a shp file, convert it and drag and drop it into Google Earth to include it as part of a larger kml file for use with FSET.

This is really helpful for me right now, because it helps get round the awkward problem of Google and VirtualEarth imagery being slight differently georeferenced. Because SBX allows drawing over several different mapservers, (whereas GE allows only google imagery), I can create polygons/lines in SBX that are correctly aligned to water areas in the VE imagery. When converted, they can then be incorporated into the full kml file for use with FSET. Nice Smile

I'll post a few quick example screenshots showing how it works really easily, when I'm allowed to here! (At the moment I'm still in my 7 day new member can't post anything external period sorry )
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:42 am

well I suppose that is good news , i am trying to remember how to use simbuilderx having used fset , which is so easy.

however some of your terminology goes way over my head m8

it would be really great if you could make an instructional video , i have seen a good one for simbuilder but not one for fset
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:02 am

Im not very good at making instructional videos nigel sorry Sad
    I'll happily do a step by step guide with screenshots as soon as I'm able to
    post external links :p
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Dont bust a gut as it is only thicko's like me that can benefit however as it seems Mike has had a lightbulb moment there is hope for me too.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:09 pm

What is the problem Nigel?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 pm