SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Watermasks

donnybalonny

Watermasks

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:37 pm

So here´s a few screenies on what I´ve been working on lately. The Island of Fyn in Denmark.

I have used Bing images, resolution is 1m/pix, compression 90% and in general, the screenies are around 1500 feet agl. I have not fiddled with the water transition in the FSET.ini
    I´m a total newbie, but I have made hundreds of kilometers of water masks now. Its difficult to say exactly what is going on and also, its a compromise where to leave some of the picture and where to let fsx water come close to the coast.
    Denmark is all about water and LOTS of shallow water.

1st one. This is almost perfect. lovely transition and transparency. 80% luck and 20% good work:

2nd. Here you see a bit of fsx scenery bleed through at the harbour. Not to bad and you have to pause the sim and stare at it in order to see it. FSX scenery bleed through can be used to something possitive. Some very small Islands and reefs, I just paint over and let it bleed through. I know this harbour, and the peers are made of big stones, so it doesnt look to far out.

last one today.  Here southwest denmark near EKEB, theres a lot of tide, so choice is to leave it all as high tide as standard fsx or leave it dry or almost dry by letting the image stay and not paint it black. I dont know, I´m a bit unsure with this one. I just looks so dull with water all over the plave, on the other hand, this looks to "dry"
    kevinfirth

Re: Watermasks

Post by kevinfirth on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 am

It's well worth looking at the FSEarthmasks.ini, which contains the following:

# ---------- Water Transition One (Coast, DeepWater, Water) ---------------
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1x = 0.0
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1y = 0.1
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2x = 1.0
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2y = 1.0

#The allowed point co-ords go between 0.0 and 1.0 whereas the X-Axis is the transition distance from the Coast (0.0 = On Coast, 1.0 =On DeepWater Line) and the Y-Axis the transition progress factor. (0.0 = nothing or off, 1.0 = full effect or max)

By changing those 4 values between 0.0 and 1.0 you can alter the look of how your transparency blend works and make it 'fit' the real world circumstances of where you're creating scenery for a little more accurately. I really always leave 1x as 0.0 and draw my coastline where I want the waters edge (in order to get absolutely exact water placement), 2x as 1.0 and draw the deepwater line at either a good distance away to allow a seamless transparency blend _or_ if that isn't possible (like with the Jersey VE imagery in places) as far out as the imagery allows, and 2y as 1.0 so that imagery blends out to meet the 100% FSX/P3D water seamlessly. I change 1y and do a couple of builds to see which one I prefer Smile
    kevinfirth

Post by kevinfirth on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 am

Donny, its clear from your images that there is a fairly distinct line where you have fsx water and then it changes to FSET imagery where there is water in the picture but none in your sim. That's because I'm guessing you haven't altered the waterpoly and so the sim is rendering water only in the default locations. If you slew lower towards the beach area you won't have any ripples or reflections close to the beach and if you land on it it will act like land - because the sim still thinks it is!

It is relatively easy to take the same kml you used for the FSET scenery and run that through SBuilderX in order to change the underlying waterpoly and get real looking water right up to the shoreline everywhere in the sim.

It may sound a bit technical but it really isn't Smile you need a couple of applications and the opportunity to do a little bit of reading, then you should be good to go, and if you want to have a pop I'll try and guide you through it step by step?

Cheers K
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 am

Well DB I take my hat off to you, those pictures look fantastic and I would pay for scenery like that. You are light years ahead of me doing that water in FSET.

Great work and thanks for sharing it on the forum.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks both of you.

Kevin, I will look into what you wrote on the top post. I may have understood something there. I will have to do some tests on a small area and that I will do after I finish the part of Denmark I´m doing right now. For me, all this is one step a time and I like the trial and error leeds to succes approach. If not my brain overheats and the grey cells start popping. (I´ve only been doing FSET for a few weeks.
    Your second post... Interesting and maybe in the future.
    Anyways, thanks a million for your kind advices. They are highly appreciated. Very Happy

For me, its a lot about investment of time and energy. When the scenery has been finished, I will fly over it and not see all the little detail, especially not since I normally fly real weather. In the end I accept that I´m an amateur and that FS scenery is a compromise. On the other hand, I like to learn and things like kml files and painting black can be very relaxing (and hard for the eyes.)
    DB
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 am

kevinfirth wrote:It's well worth looking at the FSEarthmasks.ini, which contains the following:

# ---------- Water Transition One (Coast, DeepWater, Water)  ---------------
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1x = 0.0
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint1y = 0.1
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2x = 1.0      
    WaterTransitionTransparencySFunctionToSFunctionConnectionPoint2y = 1.0

So, I would like to make some tests with this but in order to not getting confused, just a simple question:
    Should these changes be made before downloading the tiles or before compiling the scenery?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 am