SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

MORE TESTS AND UPDATES IN FSET FOR HOME MADE SCENERY PART 2

G-GMDH

MORE TESTS AND UPDATES IN FSET FOR HOME MADE SCENERY PART 2

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

I made another test area at EGFE Haverfordwest airfield in Pembrokeshire at 80% compression and at 1M/PIX resolution to compare it with my existing scenery made at 100% compression with 1M/PIX resolution images courtesy of Virtual Earth.

I noticed in the 80% version of EGFE that the UK2000 airfield scenery blended far better than compared to the 100% compression scenery.

EGFE AT 100% DEFAULT WITH UK2000 AIRFIELD SCENERY, IT DOESN'T LOOK TOO GOOD

NOW COMPARE THE 80% WITH UK2000 AIRFIELD SCENERY AND IT BLENDS PERFECTLY

This may give us the answer as to why the professionals make scenery using compression. Also you can see that in the 80% satellite view the colours look a little brighter which I think looks OK.

Now do I redo ALL my scenery again in 80% compression or maybe find some software that will compress the existing bgl files?

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Re: MORE TESTS AND UPDATES IN FSET FOR HOME MADE SCENERY PART 2

Post by donnybalonny on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:41 pm

I dont understand this one. Why does the airport ground bgl change because of the surrounding scenery compression?¿?

And i cant see any color difference in the 80 - 100% compression on this old laptop. But I can see a huge difference in how the airport is presented.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:20 am

yeah on my screen the 80% compression appears to be marginally brighter as well

Mike you do realise this has totally spoilt my day dont you ?, as it means i will now have to rescan all of my previous work, however I do want to try out some of my own experiments on some of the ultra HD images that one can get in the US

am I right in presuming to change the compression we simply alter the compression quality in the .ini file? seems too easy
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 am

YES it is that easy just change the compression from 100% to 80% in the FSET ini folder. The great thing about this is the fact that no changes are made to the downloaded satellite images BUT its the incredible amount of hard drive space that is saved. As DB has already said it is down to the quality of the satellite images, good quality = good quality home made scenery. Also because of the smaller bgl files FSX will be able to process them faster so it should give better performance on slower computers like mine.

No way am I going to redo my entire scenery (it did cross my mind though) but I did wonder was there some clever software out there that could compress our existing bgl files to save hard drive space etc.

Cheers, M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 am