SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

what Sim today?

Admin
    Admin

what Sim today?

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

It is interesting to note that after years of us all using the same sim (FSX) in as many months we have all changed sims and gone our separate ways with the odd link up flight via joinfs .

Whilst I have fsx gold, fsx SE, with masses of photoscenery and I guess around 100 high detail airports, and I also have P3Dv4.1 but only transferred the scenery and a/c that would work in it from FSX as I could not decide whether to invest money in what is after all just a slightly modified FSX.

I have been intrigued at the differences that X-Plane offers. Like P3D I have not invested money in it yet being happy to create and /or download photoscenery as there are precious little high def European airports available (but they are coming) . Normally i prefer to fly large a/c like the PMDG 737 or Airbus and although there are a few quite reasonable a/c available, the offerings of the big boys are just around the corner which will change things.
    So I have been poodling around in smaller a/c in XP and keeping myself happy with photoscenery , plus getting to know the XP interface . I have to say surprisingly that I have not missed fsx/p3d even though I do not have anywhere near the stuff in XP as I do in them.
    The flying experience in XP is simply so much more realistic already (even with the bare bones setup that I have ) that I dont want to go back to the old sims even though I know the all round experience would probably be more enhanced in fsx/p3d.
    so what makes such a vanilla sim as my xp with a few addon a/c and only photoscenery so good/ so realistic?
    The flight dynamics are certainly better than FSX/P3d but that was not difficult, but they are nowhere near as good as Aerofly!

However the way that scenery is portrayed is simply stunning, everything is always in focus ,it doesnt pop into focus like FSX or fizzle into focus like p3d a few miles ahead, it is sharp 20 miles away, and that in itself makes a huge change in how reaistic the sim appears, well it does for me , and the way mountains are portrayed is so much more realistic ! even though we are using the same imagery that we use in FSX/P3D !
    when it comes down to ctd's or memory , we all have experienced what can happen in fsx you have 3.2 gigs of memory (VAS) before the sim goes tits up, P3D now 64 bit is a bit better but grinds to a halt as the memory usage gets high. In xp I regularly see my memory at 12 gb's !!! and I am still getting 72fps!! so it is also the smoothnes of the sim that makes it seem more realistic, and my P.C is NOT as some people will make out a NASA one the cpu and motherboard are 5 years old!

None of us know what LM have up their sleeve for P3D in the future as they keep that secret , maybe there will be a huge update which will turn our world on its head again, who knows? but Laminar do keep the world informed on what they are working on and knowing that is very interesting as you can see where they want to go , and if that is the same way that you do , then you are tempted to invest further in the sim.

So in short these are some of the reasons I have not fired up any of the old sims for a couple of weeks now , the new toy on the block is very promising.
    jaydor

Re: what Sim today?

Post by jaydor on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am

Now you know why I said "I found it hard to go back to FSX".  I fly all around the Western half of the USA with high-end airports, live weather and the idea of a CTD does not even enter my mind.  Also it is the vast amount of freeware that is available to enhance you enjoyment that comes from the community based people.  There is no snobbish elitism in XP as there is in P3D4.  Most of the well known FSXer's are already over there and helping out.  I will of course keep FSX on a hard drive as I have so much invested in it to throw away.  But it is now never fired up.  AeroFly2 is keeping company with FSX on the same drive, but again never fired up.  I can not go the P3D4 route as LM just use the simmers as a cash cow by tinkering a little bit with the code and calling it a new version to recharge them their $150 on what is becoming a annual event.  The way ahead is X-Plane and even Aerosoft has stated that officially.  If you venture into XP11 and use it for more than 2 weeks to get the feel and layout, you will also be blown away. Take a look at Cargo flies in all weather in the X-Plane section, those are the shots that disproves the statement by P3D4 users about no weather to the horizon. As with all sims, you have to play about with the settings to get it right, then it's just a matter of "Go fly"...
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 pm

I've sent my letter to Santa asking his elves to put a mission engine into XP-12. Maybe I'll be lucky next Christmas? Hope so, particularly as you guys are so enthusiastic and my rotorhead mates are always banging on about how good helicopter FDE's are in X-P.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 pm

In my ignorance i never realised that the mission part of our sims was a separate sort of engine , there is no doubt that Laminar could create such a thingy but the nice thing about laminar is that they listen to peoples requests. Unlike some other sims that listen and still go their own sweet way.

It is no secret that Laminar are working on updating the whole sim to go with Vulkan graphics. this will get rid of the current bottle neck created by open GL which only gives one lane of access to the cpu as I understand it (and i could be totally wrong) with vulkan there is no limit of lanes so straight away you could have 4 times the graphics speed that we now have, on existing graphics cards!

the official gobbledygook is :
    Vulkan is a low level API that gives direct access of the GPU to developers who want the ultimate in control. With a simpler, thinner driver, Vulkan has less latency and overhead than traditional OpenGL or Direct3D. Vulkan also has efficient multi-threading capabilities so that multi-core CPUs can keep the graphics pipeline loaded, enabling a new level of performance on existing hardware.
    Vulkan is the first new generation, low-level API that is cross platform. This allows developers to create applications for a variety of PC, mobile and embedded devices using diverse operating systems. Like OpenGL, Vulkan is an open, royalty-free standard available for any platform to adopt. For developers who prefer to remain on OpenGL or OpenGL ES, NVIDIA will continue to drive innovations on those traditional APIs too. Vulkan’s low latency and high-efficiency lets developers add more details and more special effects to their games, while still maintaining great performance. Because a Vulkan driver is thinner with less overhead, application developers will get fewer performance surprises. This translates to smoother, more fluid experiences.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks, Nigel - interesting stuff!

Do you think Laminar would listen to a request for a mission engine? And who should I ask?

As you know, I use DCS and FSX/FSW mainly for helicopters and missions. I'd love to migrate to X-P, but without the mission engine thingy, I'm unlikely to take the plunge.

Cheers - Dai. Cool
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 pm

they have a facebook page that i have contributed to, i cant yet find a forum as such ut will keep looking

N
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Here is the X-Plane Forum web link................... https://forums.x-plane.org

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am

I posted this thread on another site and was very interested to see how many devout FS9 users there still were, who cannot see any reason to move to fsx or P3d or XP , very interesting!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm