SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

FSX-SE Update

jaydor

FSX-SE Update

Post by jaydor on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Some FPS shots from today's flight over the Basque Country Northern Spain.  FSX-Steam:

MegaSceneryEarth SPAIN

67 (cockpit shadows)

This achieved from a total software rebuild of the computer, running Windows7 home edition on a 3.4Ghz cpu. (not overclocked)

A2A c182, REX2, FSX Real world weather.  All sliders @MAX

Last edited by jaydor on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    G-GMDH

Re: FSX-SE Update

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi J,

Really good looking aircraft and the Spanish scenery too. I did have a look at MSE web site and their products look interesting with Wales and England at around 40 dollars is NOT expensive IMHO. Having made scenery for the same areas I know the amount of time they must of put into that particular package.

I'm not sure what resolution their scenery is made in, does it look OK at 1000 feet AGL?

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 am

Is there any reason why you dont overclock that CPU. I have the same one.
    Its very easy. The radical overclockers get it close to 5ghz
    Moderate overclockers like me are doing 4.3 - 4.4 with an air cooler that is just a slightly stronger than the Intel one.
    With standard cooler you´ll do 4.2, it will be totally stable but run a little hotter.

I´m not into extreme overclock, and when I find the sweetspot of a CPU/cooler, I lower it a little bit and leave it there. The difference between 3.5 and 4.3ghz is very noticable.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:38 am

donnybalonny wrote:Is there any reason why you dont overclock that CPU. I have the same one.
    Its very easy. The radical overclockers get it close to 5ghz
    Moderate overclockers like me are doing 4.3 - 4.4 with an air cooler that is just a slightly stronger than the Intel one.
    With standard cooler you´ll do 4.2, it will be totally stable but run a little hotter.

I´m not into extreme overclock, and when I find the sweetspot of a CPU/cooler, I lower it a little bit and leave it there. The difference between 3.5 and 4.3ghz is very noticable.

Hi Anders, I seem to have used the wrong motherboard drivers which will not allow me to overclock at the moment as I have just rebuilt the computer software.

So it is by luck that I am seeing a good response to FSX-SE edition. I normally overclock, but the software I am using will not play when I select the overclock button..

Will re-install when I can get the correct drivers..

Sad
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:28 am

Ok, now I understand.

If you fly over Spain again with MegaScenery (no hurry), I would like to see a coast line shot where the coast is very complex with shallow waters.

It could be Santander on the North Coast (or even better this beautifull bay some 20 nm to the east (midway between Santander and Bilbao), Or Huelva midways between Faro and Seville airports.

The reason: I was reading a comparative between MegasScenery Ireland and Horizon Next GenX and it was said that MegaScenery had poorer coastlines (less worked out watermask) and that the colors were very saturated.

I like the colors of your Basque screenshots. I´ve been there many times and it looks correct
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:43 am

donnybalonny wrote:Ok, now I understand.

If you fly over Spain again with MegaScenery (no hurry), I would like to see a coast line shot where the coast is very complex with shallow waters.

It could be Santander on the North Coast (or even better this beautifull bay some 20 nm to the east (midway between Santander and Bilbao), Or Huelva midways between Faro and Seville airports.

The reason: I was reading a comparative between MegasScenery Ireland and Horizon Next GenX and it was said that MegaScenery had poorer coastlines (less worked out watermask) and that the colors were very saturated.

I like the colors of your Basque screenshots. I´ve been there many times and it looks correct

here you are, Spain north Coast

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Fantastic looking scenery.

Can you do some pictures at 1000 feet please? It would be interesting to compare the quality with my home brew stuff.

THANKS.

Cheers, M

Last edited by G-GMDH on Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks Jaydor
    I think it looks good. These muddy tide areas are very difficult to do well.
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:23 pm

G-GMDH wrote:Fantastic looking scenery.

Can you do some pictures at 1000 feet please? It would be interesting to compare the quality with my home brew stuff.

THANKS.

Cheers, M

MSE do not recommend flying below 5000', but you can get down to 2000' with reasonable rendition.  But below 2000' becomes blurred.

Below at 1000' altitude showing a little higher to take in rising landscape:

Speed indicator duff.  scratch  But being a good learner pilot I can check on the GPS  Smile
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Its difficult to compare resolution if you are not comparing the same place. The quality of satelite images is not to consistant.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Many thanks for that James it doesn't look too bad. I seem to recall reading that MSE do their scenery at 2M/PIX with my home brew stuff I do it at 1M/PIX or in the case of Malta I did it at 0.5M/PIX and with that resolution you can fly at 500 feet and it looks OK.

Cheers, M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:26 pm

As far as I remember, MegaScenery is 1m/pix at least in version V2 (the one they sell now)
    I dont know their compression-quality.

You can see that many payware photoscenery 1m/pix is smaller than what FSET does.
    I think that MegaSC Ireland and Northern Ireland is 20GB. How big is your version (you did make Ireland and N Ireland no?)

I can also see that the Denmark scenery that Nigel made and sent me is a lot bigger pr. sq meter than what I do. I make 1m/pix with 90 Compression Quality.

Also, you can find 1m/pix payware that is crap. A friend of mine has Aerosoft Germany VFR and IMHO, it looks horrible.

All these numbers are maybe in the end just numbers?
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks DB for your input I find it all very interesting. My FSET, I just checked, is at default 100% compression and I use 1M/PIX.

So then onto the next question, changing the compression to 90% or 80% what effect if any does that have on the quality of the images?

Cheers, M
    PS My Ireland, North and South, is 105 GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PPS. Lifted from MSE web pages......Scenery Resolution: Original imagery is captured at 50 cm to 2 meters per pixel. They are resampled to display in FSX at 1.19 meters per pixel.

Last edited by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

My MSE Spain altogether is 84gb
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes, but if you made the whole of Spain in FSET with the settings that Mike use, it would be a LOT more than 84gb. Spain is a lot bigger than the Irish Island and Mikes Ireland Scenery is already bigger than MSE Spain.

I have no idea exactly what lowering the compression quality does. FSET only says it makes the areas smaller in size.
    The only thing I know is that it doesnt matter the resolution and the compression if the Image quality is bad. You can then make 0.1m/pix and it wil continue to be bad.
    But these numbers sell and there are many people believing that their 5Megapix cheapo mobile phone takes equally good pictures as a high end 5 megapix camera with Carl Zeiss lense.

For the company that makes photoscenery, its interesting to have smaller sizes because then its easyer to download.

On the other hand, I have a feeling (I might be wrong) that these very GB heavy photosceneries are very tough to digest for our computers. Isnt it so that the heavyer the photoscenery, the more GB the PC has to process per mile flown? Just thinking about blurries, load time, hard disc space etc. Very often our computer blues is because we want more than our poor PC can take.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 pm