SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own scenery, or Aircraft Re-paints who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Blurry textures when using photoscenery

donnybalonny

Blurry textures when using photoscenery

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:39 am

I´m new to photoscenery

I have the problem, that if I switch from VC to outside to tower and then back to VC, then the textures get blurry.
    It doesnt happen at the start of the flight, but after some 5 - 10 minuts it can be bad.
    I also tried flying a jet 350 knots 2000 feet agl and the same happened without changing views.
    I seems like the PC has problems processing all the Gigas of photos. Framerates are not affected and if left unlimited will often be in the 50 - 80fps a sec depending on AC and other addon scenery.
    I use FSX-SE and Steve´s fixer. My PC is a decent one, (I5-4.4ghz, GF760gt (2gb), 8GB ram, photoscenery on a SATA3 HD)

Any ideas on what is happening and what can be done. (Besides staying in the VC and fly the jets where they are supposed to fly) Its a bit annoying.

Last edited by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jaydor

Re: Blurry textures when using photoscenery

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:06 am

First, I see you using Steve's DX10 fixer to help take some of the pressure of the CPU?

Although photo scenery can run with no autogen, it still taxes the CPU.  I also have suffered from the dreaded blurries and have found that the faster I switch views then it can happen.  This is because the Graphics card cannot keep up with the speed of view changes.  When it happens to me I stay on a view even if it is blured and allow the G/card to settle back down.  It does not happen to me all the time though.  Some days it is like lightning with change of view others like you describe.

If it persists Then go up to the task bar and select World (Go to Airport) let it open then close it without selecting anything and you should return to a sharp screen image, as you have given the graphic card time to recover.

Pressing the P button on the keyboard to pause the sim sometimes allows the graphics card time to recover..
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks.
    What I do is to pause or look down on the seat, so that there´s less to do for the GPU, but it is a bit annoying.
    I have the same as you, some days its hardly present, and others its very often.

So, the best is to stay inside the AC and read the newspaper, I think thats what real world pilots do as well. study
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:47 pm

yes it is a problem the blurries, i find they rarely occur if you fly at 150 knots or less, there is no doubt that maybe a newer, faster graphics card will help.what do you have your sea set at? as this uses a lot of memory, also do you have shadows enabled scenery shadows also take up a lot of performance
    i have my LODset at either 6.5 or even 8.5 when using photoscenery, this can reduce the blurries as they tend to occur further away so not such a pain also reducing graphics down from 4096 to 2048 helps as well.
    I will try to do a full study and get back later with what I find.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:48 pm

I have just spent the last hour or so using SE videoing some crazy low flying around Nice with my high definition scenery (fset set at 0) initially I used a c210 from carenado and was getting up to 90fps and no blurries so changed a/c to the aerosoft airbus 320 which i know is heavy on the p.c. so then went aerobating and low flying at low and high speed down to about 900feet and up to 3000 feet. I fully expected to get blurries, but did not really get traditional blurries even though the fps went down to 30 when the airbus started. ok flying at 320 knots at 900 feet did give the p.c. some work but the blurries were only what one would expect at that speed and so low, and they were not grim. and this is with all sliders maxed out except the sea (high 1x) and with no autogen at all and using anisotopic filtering and antialiasing ticked.
    I then tried it with the sliders cut back a notch and could not really see any difference.
    I then tried changing the weather so set it to the rainy day which ok did make it a bit blurry but again this only increased the realism as one was in and out of cloud at 1200 feet

so then set autogen to max well it did slow things down a bit but there is precious little autogen at an airport and none in photoscenery . so then changed the sea to max and that did slow the p.c right down eventually to only 8fps and barely flyable.

I set rex to give the real weather and that also slowed the p.c as it was a bad weather day but no real blurries that I had hoped to recreate, so it must be down to my graphics card settings in nvidia ?? as we all have similar p.c's and graphics cards.

my video is nearly 3gb's in size if anyone wants to study it.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I wrote a wrong graphics card . Mine is a GF760gt 2gb ram. Not something special but it should be clearly enough. I have no framerate drops if using unlimit frame, normally it is locked a 26.

I didnt have the blurry problems a week ago. I have my water settings a 1xhigh, LOD at 6 and as I wrote,
    I just tested that even over non photo scenery, do I get blurrs.... hm. Not so strong, but i never had them before.

A parallel question: Can controller settings be saved somehow. I will most probably generate a new FSX.cfg and I hate having to set up the controllers again.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi DB,

Sorry to hear about your "blurries" something we all suffer with from time to time. It may help to re set the fsx cfg files.

However to answer your parallel question I would highly recommend a FREE piece of software called SIMstarter. This very clever add on enables you to set the various parameters in the fsx cfg, graphics, scenery, aircraft, weather, traffic, tweaks etc and save them as a profile numbered 1 to 9. You can then save different profiles with different settings up to a total of 9.

Cheers, M

SIMstarter latest version 2.7 information and download page link..... http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

Last edited by G-GMDH on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 pm

I forgot to mention, If you exit FSX to the free fly screen and the press fly now, it re-boots up with no blurries. Strange beast this FSX..
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Ok, I will look into these things tomorrow.
    Just had a 1.5 hours flight, Vor to vor in a BAC 1-11 in cloudy weather. Good fun, but my eyes need a rest now.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:45 pm

An update
    I tested the same photo scenery in FSX-SE and P3Dv2.5

There are blurries in P3D as well, but it recovers 10 times faster and its not really a problem.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 pm

This is Micro Soft take on it.......https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555738

Plus I just found this too..... http://iblueyonder.com/fsx-relief-for-the-blurries/
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:56 pm

I will check the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

and maybe after that, the other suggestion
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:08 pm

DB,  I have just tested my FSX with the Nvidia graphics card set with the BitMap=6 in fsx.cfg folder and it still gives blurries after about 30 minutes of flying at around 200 knots, yes Britfrog, two elastic bands this time for power!

The only thing that completely stopped the blurries was to reduce the GLOBAL TEXTURE RESOLUTION slider in the GRAPHICS window in FSX whilst flying to LOW. The blurries disappeared completely within a few seconds and everything worked OK and with an increase in FPS as a bonus on my dinosaur computer.

The downside is that my test aircraft MCR 101 aircraft wings lost resolution from within the VC, however on a faster PC you could probably set the slider between 50% to 75%

I have in the past played around with the FIBER FRAME TIME FRACTION lowering it to 0.15, 0.25 etc and increasing it too but never saw any major differences to be honest.

I now leave it at the default setting of 0.33

M
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks for the head up. Then i wont try that one.
    Adding the fiber thing didnt change anything either.

I have started just sticking my head out of the window when I want to see my scenery.

To me, the problemmaker is the tower view. pretty logical, because when you switch to that, the PC has to work on the terrain where the tower is and than you switch back to VC, which is the view that requires the most PC power.

Is there a way to get rid of the Tower view. I have already deleted the outside views since I dont need them.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:37 pm

DB from memory I think you can go into "hidden folders" within Win 7 and find the FSX folder with the camera cfg folder in it. Open this go down the list and you should find the TOWER VIEW you can then switch it off or delete it. BACK UP the FSX folder FIRST.

You seem to be heading down the same road as I took awhile ago. I did think of getting shot of a load of the CAMERA VIEWS that I don't use to see if FSX ran any smoother. To me its NOT about how many 100's of FPS I can get its more important to get very smooth running over my home made scenery.

I use SIMstarter which is a free piece of software which enable you to TWEAK all sorts of things within your FSX and save them as a numbered profile from 1 to 9

M

PS I have just checked the CAMERA cfg folder and it has 11 camera views!!!!!!!!!

MODIFICATIONS DATED 23/10/2015

I have edited my CAMERA cfg in FSX as follows......

CAMERA VIEW 01 = 2D = F10 on the keyboard

CAMERA VIEW 02 = V/C = F9 on the keyboard

CAMERA VIEW 04 = Outside View = F11 on the keyboard

CAMERA VIEW 06 = Top Down Satellite View = F12 on the keyboard

ALL the other camera views I deleted from the cfg folder, as I don't use them or need them.
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Cool stuff What a Face
    Testing.
    1st flight without tower view went along without blurries. But it was only a 30min test. Normally i got blurries switching view after some 5 - 10 minuts, so it is very promissing
    donnybalonny

Post by donnybalonny on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:28 am

After having deleted the tower view, I have done a couple of photoscenery flights, and as expected without any blurries. So it is the tower view caisng the blurries when changing views.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 am

as luck would have it i dont seem to suffer from this problem but i rarely use the tower view so shall see if this affects VAS as any reduction of VAS is worthwhile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm